ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video imported from AE into FCP skips frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vladislav GomzyakovVideo imported from AE into FCP skips frames
by on May 14, 2010 at 6:52:11 pm

I rendered a video in AE using animation codec RGB+Alpha. When I import it into FCP, it skips frames for some reason. I cant figure this out. PLease help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video imported from AE into FCP skips frames
by on May 14, 2010 at 7:20:32 pm

Open the FCP edit timeline. Highlight the clip from AE. Then select Sequence>Render, and select the color that matches the color over the AE clip in the timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vladislav GomzyakovRe: Video imported from AE into FCP skips frames
by on May 15, 2010 at 1:13:38 am

We've done that, but nothing changes. Tried all kinds of alpha channel settings, still no luck. I don't really know what is even causing this.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: Video imported from AE into FCP skips frames
by on May 15, 2010 at 12:01:39 pm

Why is there a render needed at all? Did you render at a different frame rate than your sequence? Example 60p placed in a 30p sequence. It's going to skip every other frame.

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2010 at 12:51:33 pm

What do you mean why is it needed? Doing a project like that..
No, both rendered at 23.98. I tried using even the same codec, but no use.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video imported from AE into FCP skips frames
by on May 17, 2010 at 2:42:21 pm

About the only thing I can think of is that the render went badly in AE, and there are a few common causes for this happening:
• Not having the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2 (if applicable).
• Trying to use Open GL to accelerate renders: it's typically good to turn it off.
• And the #1 cause of AE weirdness: the wrong kind of video footage! Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2010 at 4:03:55 pm

Im using compositions without any footage though. Tried a bunch of different options of rendering. And still for some reason when I put it into FCP it skips every second frame. This is so bad, cause I did all this work and now we cant use it((

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2010 at 4:27:41 pm

And I noticed when I rendered it in HDV 720p60 and put it in it worked fine. But when I used an alpha channel on top of it or used color key filter to erase background colour, it started skipping frames again. WTF!

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2010 at 6:10:22 pm

So I was able to solve it by rendering it as Photoshop sequence with including alpha channel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]