ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue between Ae and FCP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan BrauePixel Aspect Ratio Issue between Ae and FCP
by on May 14, 2010 at 2:51:18 pm

Hey CreativeCOW,

Love the site and the forums. This is my first post and I'm hoping you can help. In After Effects CS4, I have a 640x480 comp set to square pixels. After rendering it out, I import it into Final Cut Pro 7, except in the Browser the clip is showing as 'NTSC - CCIR 601' for the pixel aspect ratio. My Sequence in FCP is 640x480 and is set to square pixels so when I bring the clip rendered from Ae into the Timeline it is definitely "squished."

I am assuming the problem lies within how Ae is rendering out the file, but I am not sure what I need to change to make sure it renders out properly. The only changes I make in the render settings is to render out the Quicktime as 'Apple ProRes 422 (LT).' This is something I have done plenty of times before, but for whatever reason, it currently is not working now.

Thanks for your help in advance!

-Jonathan

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue between Ae and FCP
by on May 14, 2010 at 3:42:08 pm

If your AE comp is set to 640x480, square pixels, and your Output Module does nothing to change that, then the movie is correct. Try opening the movie in Quicktime to check.

If it is correct, then in FCP, hit cmd+9 to check how FCP interpreted the movie.

Return to posts index

Jonathan BraueRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue between Ae and FCP
by on May 14, 2010 at 4:04:22 pm

I checked the movie in QT and it says it's 640x480 (actual) which I am assuming means it is square.

I checked FCP using cmd+9 and it showed the NTSC - CCIR 609 pixel aspect ratio... would this be a problem in FCP then?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue between Ae and FCP
by on May 14, 2010 at 3:47:47 pm

640x480 is a somewhat-old type of SD resolution from the pre-DV days... not that there's anything wrong with it, it's simply uncommon these days.

Are you sure you should be working in 640x480, and not 720x480? Just want to double-check.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2010 at 4:10:41 pm

The reason I am using the 640x480 square pixel comp is because my company sends out Flip video cameras (640x480 h.264 files) to clients for testimonial recordings so I want to match those specs. I created a new intro for our client testimonial videos and this is the road block I have run into.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue between Ae and FCP
by on May 14, 2010 at 5:36:53 pm

Try here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/search.php?q=640x480&f%5B%5D=200

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2010 at 7:20:30 pm

Hey everyone, thank you for the pointers. Turns out it was a Final Cut Pro issue, not an After Effects issue. I still don't know why when I imported the clip into FCP it defaulted to the NTSC - CCIR 601 pixel aspect ratio, but all I had to do was Right-Click in the "Pixel Aspect" column in the Browser where the clip was listed as NTSC - CCIR 601 and I got a drop down to switch it to 'Square' among other options. Issue fixed. Thanks again for the responses!

Return to posts index

Xavier ParedesRe: Pixel Aspect Ratio Issue between Ae and FCP
by on Apr 9, 2011 at 9:32:09 pm

I have a couple of hundred clips that were created in AE at 640x480 ProRes 422HQ and have come across this same problem. I wish there was a better way to deal with this besides changing each one individually in FCP!

If you know a better way please let me know!

Thanks!

Xavier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]