ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Track Motion problems in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandra SusiTrack Motion problems in After Effects
by on May 14, 2010 at 11:29:05 am

I'm trying to add some blood in to a live action in After Effects. The blood is supposed to drip on the pants of an actor (the actor is moving).

I created the blood and I mask animated it, and it looks ok. The problem comes up when I have to make the blood moving tracking the pants of the actor.
What I did is create a null Object and track motion the movie file, then parents my blood to my null object. Which I guess is correct. But my blood looks too UNREALISTIC, it looks like it pops up on the screen. I tried to rotoscope the blood without the motion track but still it looks too unrealistic. I also tried all the different option of colors (trying to desaturated, off color set etc etc), but still it looks weird to look at. I actually playied with all the rotation in 3D, but still nothing.

I really don't know what to do. Is this something that After Effects can do with good result or I should just move to a 3D compositing program?

Is there something I'm missing? Is just that I'm not MOTION TRACKING correctly?

Hope some can help me.

Thanks
Alexandra

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Track Motion problems in After Effects
by on May 14, 2010 at 2:31:35 pm

This tutorial can help:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/blood_splatter/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Track Motion problems in After Effects
by on May 14, 2010 at 2:36:29 pm

[Alexandra Susi] "I really don't know what to do. Is this something that After Effects can do with good result or I should just move to a 3D compositing program"

If Ted's suggestion doesn't work out, you COULD try to track the motion in a 3D application, taking even more time....

.....or you could re-shoot.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alexandra SusiRe: Track Motion problems in After Effects
by on May 14, 2010 at 3:10:37 pm

Thanks so much for your help and for responding back so quickly (I love Creative Cow).

For Ted: I already watched the Andrew Kramer Tutorial and I'm still having problem cause the track I have to do is slightly different from the one in the tutorial. I guess I can't go further with the footage I got. Thanks Again for letting me know though. Really appreciate it.

For Dave: I totally agree with stock answer#2. Unfortunately (or I should say Fortunately) I wasn't part of the production. I whish I was so I wouldn't be struggling in front of the computer all day...lol.
I'll try with a 3D compositing program and we'll see what happen.
Thanks so much for asnwering back.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Track Motion problems in After Effects
by on May 14, 2010 at 3:42:39 pm

[Alexandra Susi] "Unfortunately (or I should say Fortunately) I wasn't part of the production. I whish I was so I wouldn't be struggling in front of the computer all day..."

Well, as long as you're getting paid for it, that's good. Ain't nothin' that'll encourage producers to see the light like a good hit in the wallet.

Don't forget the old post-production mantra: "You can get it good. You can get it fast. You can get it cheap. Pick any two."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Track Motion problems in After Effects
by on May 14, 2010 at 6:58:01 pm

If you need to tweak the blood in 3d space, you could try to do a 3d track (like Dave suggested) using Boujou or SynthEyes. Then distort the blood layer in 3d space using Freeform so that it matches the right surface/perspective. Use track data to position the distorted mesh on the person.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2010 at 7:19:45 pm

For Ted: Thanks, I'll definitely try that and let you know! Thanks so much.

For Dave: SO TRUE! Tganks for the tips!!

Alexandra

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2010 at 7:21:04 pm

For Ted: Thanks, I'll definitely try that and let you know! Thanks so much.

For Dave: SO TRUE! Thanks for the tips!!

Alexandra

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]