ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export Multiple Clips

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick RosierExport Multiple Clips
by on May 14, 2010 at 9:42:32 am

Hi,

Is there a way of exporting a series of clips in one go? (with file->export) I use this for h.264 conversion and at the minute I'm having to export each clip individually.

I would use free 3rd party software, but I find the quality is not as good as after effects... and unfortunately I'm not running Snow leopard or quicktime pro.

Look forward to hearing back!

Nick

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Export Multiple Clips
by on May 14, 2010 at 11:48:50 am

Actually AE is not your best choice for H264- make sure you have your clips in different comps, open those comps in Adobe Media Encoder and start exporting- this should give you better H264 encoding, and the liberty to run free after you hit the "start" button.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Nick RosierRe: Export Multiple Clips
by on May 14, 2010 at 12:37:24 pm

That sounds ideal - do you know where I can get hold of a version of the media encoder that runs alongside CS3? Have tired downloading the version adobe host from their website but it's not compatible.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Export Multiple Clips
by on May 14, 2010 at 2:28:59 pm

No idea where to get CS3 encoder- try asking on adobe forums.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Export Multiple Clips
by on May 14, 2010 at 2:33:32 pm

[Nick Rosier] "Is there a way of exporting a series of clips in one go? (with file->export)"

Why do you want to do it the hard way? Don't export clips, RENDER them use AE's Render Queue, a 15-year-old innovation that lets AE render multiple compositions in one session, with no operator intervention needed....

....otherwise known as "batch processing" in some circles.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Don't weird out that this is from AE 10 Help. The Render Queue has worked the same way for a long time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick RosierRe: Export Multiple Clips
by on May 14, 2010 at 2:49:14 pm

I've always found outputting as H264 through the render queue (16:9 with audio) to be pretty buggy.. plus the result is touch and go quality wise. You recommend using 3rd party compression tools such as adobe media encoder in a post of yours ealier this year - why the change of heart?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Export Multiple Clips
by on May 14, 2010 at 3:03:17 pm

No change of heart, Ted gave you this answer first. But it you want it again, here it is:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Trev CheeRe: Export Multiple Clips
by on Mar 6, 2011 at 4:32:10 pm

what is the difference in rending using render queue VS exporting as swf? I used the render queue and it output in .avi file format...however when I viewed the .avi file it did not look at all like it was suppose to be (many elements missing, 3d camera movement didn't work)

are the quality of video .swf VS .avi equal when dropping into premiere?

thanks Dave. you're the man.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]