ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 shows some black areas in project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Kikidis
After Effects CS4 shows some black areas in project
on May 13, 2010 at 5:25:06 pm

Hi all,

I have a AE CS4 project on a LAN drive. I have 5 Windows PCs on my LAN. When I try to open the file on some of the PCs, there are some black areas in the project, see this image: http://imgur.com/KdCBk.jpg (it is supposed to have no black at all).

What drives me crazy is that this happens sometimes and some times not (project shows up perfectly right). Sometimes this happens on one computer sometimes on another. The source project files are always the same folder on the LAN drive.

I have tried: restarting AE and PC, increasing/decreasing/deactivating disk cache, copying the project on one PC's HD and opening it locally, using XP and/or Vista and monitoring resources. Nothing helped. Problem keeps showing up. I have at least 40% of RAM free at all times.

PCs are 4core i7 with 6GB ram, Quadro FX1800.

Any help would be appreciated. Apologize for my English, obviously not my first language.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: After Effects CS4 shows some black areas in project
on May 13, 2010 at 5:36:53 pm

Are you using Open GL on some of the computers- if so, turn it off.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Michael Kikidis
on May 13, 2010 at 9:36:07 pm

Thank you for your time.

Your suggestion led me to this article: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405948.html that I have also followed through.
But the problem remains.

This means I tried: deactivating Opengl from Preferences, removing opengl plugin, updated my video drivers, enabled/disabled "Prevent DLL Address Space Fragmentation", reset all configuration. After each step I restarted AE, did a Purge->all and tried again.
Problems remains. Note: I my card/driver does support OpenGL 2.0.

Any more suggestions?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 14, 2010 at 5:12:53 am

What kind of footage (and what codecs) do you have in the comp? If it's a codec that uses interframe compression like h264 or HDV, you might see weird glitches. Search this forum for Dave's Stock Answer #1 for more.

What effects are you using here? Some effects have an option to use the GPU for render that's separate from AE's preferences.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Kikidis
on May 15, 2010 at 9:00:11 am

Hi again. The project is using:
shine v1,5 AECS3
Frieschluft.lenscare.v1.41.for .After.Effect
ReelSMartMotionBlur3
If one of them uses the GPU as you say, what can I do to fix this?

Searching for "Dave stock answer #1" on the forum returned more than 400 result, most of them unrelated. Am I doing sth wrong?

Thank you for you help.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 15, 2010 at 10:10:01 pm

Dave's Stock Answer #1 is about video formats that AE imports, but doesn't always handle correctly. If you are using HDV, MP4, or similarly compressed footage, you can get all kinds of unexpected results. The solution is transcode the footage to another format that doesn't use temporal compression, like Uncompressed AVI or Quicktime PNG.

Very few effects make use of the GPU for assisted rendering (for example, Knoll Light Works). If you don't see any options in your effects that refer to GPU rendering, you don't need to worry about it as a possible source of your problem.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Kikidis
on May 16, 2010 at 7:00:19 pm

The project in question is something I have created from scratch and is in raw tiff format now, I haven't exported to it any video file yet.

I'm really at a loss here.

I have also noticed that it only happens when I use 32bit color. At 16bit color it shows without problems.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]