ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

2d movie on 3d layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mara novak
2d movie on 3d layers
on May 13, 2010 at 2:26:15 pm

hay guys!

i've an animation of an animal in aftereffects and i wanna multiply it on filmed stairs. so i want it to move down the stairs. well, i tryed it with just setting the animal-layer 3d and it looks quite good but it does not quite work when it goes over an edge. (tryed to just turn the layer, i know quite stupid idea) Does anybody of u have an idea how to solve this problem? like with creating an 3d edge or sth?!

cheers mara

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 2d movie on 3d layers
on May 13, 2010 at 3:05:02 pm

You have the advantage of having the comp right in front of you, so you know what you see. We don't. Can you be a bit more descriptive, or perhaps show us a screen shot?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mara novak
on May 13, 2010 at 4:25:08 pm

yeah u're right sorry...
here it is

right know i just did it with masks
but is'nt working on rounded edges

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 13, 2010 at 4:49:33 pm

I assume you're "sliding" that dark-cyan animal-thing down the steps. I can think of three ways to do it:

In AE 10 (aka AE CS5), you now have Freeform, a way to warp layers in 3D space. You could move the animal through a precomp, then use Freeform to warp the precomp to match the shape of the stairs.

If you have an earlier version of AE, you could buy Freeform as a third-party plugin and do the same thing. Or 3D Warps by Zaxwerks.

You could do it in a real 3D application.

How about a pre-AE-10 version, straight out of the box, no plugins? Sorry, no. You don't get the ability to curve something in 3D space.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mara novak
on May 13, 2010 at 5:10:20 pm

ok mh no, have no CS5 but i'll try with cinema 4D
thx a million

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 13, 2010 at 5:45:20 pm

You can try to animate the animal moving in a wide comp (like Dave suggested for Free Form), then cut that in slices (same number and proportion as steps on the stairway, one top and one front for each step), build a stairway in 3d space and match the perspective of the filmed stairway. This should give you a pretty decent animation. If you want to get really detailed, and have the animal follow the rounded edge of the steps, then cut small stripes (1-3) and build an approximation of the curved edge, using feathered masks to blend the edges of the slices.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]