ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How would you approach an AE heavy Video Clip? Workflow.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Griffin
How would you approach an AE heavy Video Clip? Workflow.
on May 13, 2010 at 3:05:43 am

Hey guys,

So i'm about to embark on a film clip for a band that is all on green screen and will have a lot of FX throughout every scene.

If you were approaching a job like this, how would you do it?

In the past, i've just cut the footage up in Premiere, transferred the footage to AE then just worked with it there till it was done. Cuts, zooms, edits, everything to the final version. I found it more fiddly, but ultimately all the cuts and wipes etc could be much more elaborate using AE, and there's less program swapping, of course.

Would you work on each part separately then import them into Premiere / Final Cut to edit the clip together? Would you cut the clip into it's base edit then import that whole clip into AE and work off that?

Just trying to settle into a good workflow for such jobs.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How would you approach an AE heavy Video Clip? Workflow.
on May 13, 2010 at 4:00:49 am

I would cut my video in Premiere and do all the
edits there. Then import the Premiere project into After Effects. If, for some reason, your footage doesn\'t work well in AE (older versions of AE were awful with MPEG files, for example. Search for Dave\'s Stock Answer #1 for an explanation) then export a lossless video from Premiere (such as Quicktime with the PNG codec) into AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
on May 13, 2010 at 5:08:09 am

There is no one best way to do any long project involving compositing and editing. Only experience can help determine what is the best way to do any editing and compositing.

That being said... a general way of doing large projects is to edit the original source in an NLE... then, take segments of the edited video clips into the compositing software... then put the various compositing clips into the editing software.

Divide and conquer is a good approach to take for many reasons... but, for me it is because it reduces crash potential and provides break points from which to consider the technique used for your effects and deal with rendering limits.

That being said... I have run into issues where certain plug-ins just don't allow a smooth workflow when going from compositing to editing... and, only experience can effectively tell you which plug-ins have issues relative the workflow.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 13, 2010 at 8:05:23 am

I've done a few music videos, with heavy fx, and my approach was to finish the edit, get the clients approval, and then go on to fx.
However there have been situations where I exported the fx shot by shot and brought them in for a final edit.
If you can be 100% sure of your edit without the fx then use the first approach- it saves time.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]