ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 upgrade experiences

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DavidsonCS5 upgrade experiences
by on May 12, 2010 at 8:23:07 pm

Has anyone bitten the bullet and upgraded to CS5 yet? If so, what has your experience been like? Was it a pain? Are there any issues? Is the plugin upgrade process as bad as it seems? Does it really seem much faster? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Craig WallRe: CS5 upgrade experiences
by on May 12, 2010 at 9:20:18 pm

I upgraded to the Master Suite CS5 last week.

I tested a few renders...and unsurprisingly I could render longer sections...and yes it seems brisker. I can't quantify that yet. Little thing, but I do like how all the apps open and quit faster, and feel more robust.

Here's the thing...and I knew this *before* I purchased....

I won't be able to use CS5 daily until I reach critical mass with my 3rd party updates. So far I have about 25% of my third party plugins updated, and maybe 50% of my most essential.

I still need to look into migrating my scripts...Some of these might still work fine...I don't know yet.

I would think within the next few weeks that I'll be able to start most new projects in CS5.

My goal was: start the migration early...chip away at it... It's time consuming. I think most of the vendors have been fair with upgrade pricing, but it adds up.

Note:
Cycore and Zaxwerks are currently vague about when they'll have updates available. I don't know what to make of that. Maybe they are just trying to not over-promise.

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS5 upgrade experiences
by on May 12, 2010 at 9:42:43 pm

> I still need to look into migrating my scripts...Some of these might still work fine...I don't know yet.

Scripts that worked in After Effects CS4 should work in After Effects CS5. If they don't, let us know. Here's the bug-report form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 10:03:13 pm

Sweet. Thanks for the word, Todd!

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: CS5 upgrade experiences
by on May 12, 2010 at 11:26:12 pm

Thanks Craig. For some reason I expected to see more posts about CS5 upgrades on this forum. Perhaps many people are waiting for plugins to catch up before they upgrade.

Return to posts index

steve duddlestonRe: CS5 upgrade experiences
by on May 13, 2010 at 11:53:02 am

I've upgraded to the Production Suite. AE is quicker, but I'm on a new
system, so it's hard to quantify. However, I am having audio issues.
Playing back from PREVIEW is erratic. It takes 3-5 playback loops to get audio to lock. My work around of adding an audio effect helps some, but I've had some renders with the audio either missing in sections and/or moving up & down the timeline. I am able to render out separate audio files with success and re-combined in FCP.
I haven't tried changing from .aiff to .wave as has been suggested. Upgrades are a pain, but I knew that going in.

Return to posts index

by on May 13, 2010 at 3:28:54 pm

We think that the audio problem is just an AIFF problem, and we're working on it.

Please file a bug report if you find otherwise.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS5 upgrade experiences
by on May 13, 2010 at 3:29:59 pm

[steve duddleston] "I haven't tried changing from .aiff to .wave as has been suggested."

That's just weird. Usually compress audio gives AE fits.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: CS5 upgrade experiences
by on May 13, 2010 at 3:47:20 pm

I upgraded last week. So far everything works as advertised and I'm quite happy with the new features and performance (especially the performance) of AE, PP and Photoshop. Then again, I haven't started any new projects from scratch, so I probably won't have a really informed opinion for another few months.

Shawn

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2010 at 5:08:28 am

Steve I have seen the exact bug you are talking about and for now it's pushed me back to using CS4.

It's a pretty nasty bug. My audio track suddenly was all over the place...sometimes even doubling up on top of itself...e.g. 20 seconds into a commercial spot I'd start to get the first few seconds of audio flooding back in.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:29:40 am

Here's a new technical support document on the audio issue, which acknowledges a known issue with AIFF, recommends transcoding to WAV, and mentions a fix that is in the works:

"Audio playback or RAM preview is scrambled or jumps around in After Effects CS5 or Premiere Pro CS5"
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/851/cpsid_85192.html

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2010 at 12:01:52 am

The After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update is available:
http://bit.ly/9ex5Cf

This update should address the AIFF issue. After you've installed the update, please let us know whether it works for you.

If you have any problems with the update, or if you have bugs to report after you've installed the update, please let us know through the usual channels:
http://bit.ly/93d6NF

Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]