ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Magenta fringing using Primatte Keyer with Blue Screen Background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blane Granstaff
Magenta fringing using Primatte Keyer with Blue Screen Background
on May 12, 2010 at 5:21:06 pm

I am using After Effects CS4 and Primatte Keyer Pro to key bluescreen 2k ProRes footage from RED RAW 4k.
The bluescreen was lit exceptionally well and there is no spill on to the subject but every time I try and pull the key I am left with a magenta colored fringe around the dark, soft areas of the foreground subjects. I've tried using all the refine tools to fix the problem to no avail.
I feel that it has something to do with the Edge Color Replace being set to compliment but no other setting produces a better result.
What could I be doing wrong? Please advise.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Magenta fringing using Primatte Keyer with Blue Screen Background
on May 12, 2010 at 6:02:25 pm

Why don't you try keying the footage in AE using Keylight, too? See what you get.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blane Granstaff
on May 12, 2010 at 6:10:28 pm

It is the same result on both. Notice the magenta fringing in the hand and sleeve.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 12, 2010 at 6:22:33 pm

I've never used Primatte, but I have used Keylight. It allows you to change the color it uses when it does spill suppression, and you might go with something that's more yellow and opposite on the color wheel from blue.

Or you can simply not use Keylight's spill suppression at all if the lighting is as good as you say. Instead of displaying the Final Result, try one of the other views... what to they call it? Partial result? I'm not in front of my AE machine at the moment, sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 12, 2010 at 7:55:29 pm

You've double-checked that the magenta colour isn't in the original footage, correct?

You can tweak with the spill suppression settings of your keying effect, perhaps (as Dave suggested) turn it off completely.

Thinking a little outside the box, you can apply the hue/saturation effect and set it to only effect magenta colours and then you can tweak the hue and saturation of that magenta into something much less noticeable.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 12, 2010 at 6:16:46 pm

Sorry, my brief response is a little unclear.

What I intended to say is, "Since you're in AE already, why don't you try a different keyer? Put the footage in a new comp and give Keylight a go at it. See what you get....."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 12, 2010 at 10:53:02 pm

Are you using the same settings to try and key the entire clip? If so, you might consider creating different mattes for the most problematic areas of your comp. In my own work, I find that I have to make holdout and edge mattes for about 40% of the footge that I have to key. In some cases, you may even need to roto footage in addition to creating two or three mattes for a single shot.

BTW, do you have a shot of just the matte? Sometimes it's easier to spot issues by looking at a grayscale image instead of a composited clip.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]