ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create this smearing/memory effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hopp
How to create this smearing/memory effect
on May 12, 2010 at 5:16:07 pm

Hello,

I'm having some troubles trying to recreate an effect in After Effects, and I'm not 100% sure of what terms to search for to find information about it, so I made a quick drawing to illustrate it:

Some kind of memory effect? Or a persistent smear? or render to layer?

I would appreciate any help here. Thanks a bunch!

-- Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to create this smearing/memory effect
on May 12, 2010 at 6:03:21 pm

Try that ol' AE standby, the Echo effect. See if you like the look.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Hopp
on May 12, 2010 at 7:26:29 pm

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the quick reply!

While it wasn't *exactly* what I was looking for, it appears that the Echo effect might work even better for what I am doing.

You see, I've got a video clip that I used motion stabilization on, and I wasn't too satisfied with the ways I found to get rid of the black borders that appear occasionally when using stabilization (scaling really isn't an option due to loss of quality, and mirror tiling looked pretty goofy to me) so I figured if I was able to use the information from other parts of the clip to fill in those ugly black borders, that would work.

A big downside I've found is that running the Echo effect with 50 echoes on 720p video really jacks up the render times. :)

I've just set the job to render now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 12, 2010 at 8:06:16 pm

You could also try applying the Grow Bounds effect and the Smear effect from Pete's Plugins to each side of your footage. It's an odd thought, but it's a thought.

You could also try a duplicate of your layer scaled up underneath your main footage. Perhaps with a slightly feathered mask on your main footage to blend in the sides.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]