ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Solid Transparency

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gordon SpursSolid Transparency
by on May 12, 2010 at 1:47:59 pm

Hi everyone. Does anyone know how to export a png with alpha from After Effects so that a solid (in this case a rectangle) is transparent. I'm creating templates for a DVD menu so video can be inserted at a later date.

I know conventionally this would be done the other way around and composited in AE but we are working to a deadline and awaiting for material from directors.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Solid Transparency
by on May 12, 2010 at 2:31:21 pm

I assume you mean you want your solid to punch through anything below it and create transparency. Precompose everything else and use the solid as a track matte.

Or, if it's not that simple, you could precompose the whole shebang and key out the solid.

Or you could simply use prerender everything and pop the new assets in AE when you finally get them and render it out that way.

Or are you asking how to render out a video with transparency?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gordon SpursRe: Solid Transparency
by on May 12, 2010 at 2:51:36 pm

The Problem I am having is basically...I'm a freelance Motion Designer working with an editor at a production company. The templates have to be designed today and tomorrow with the final edits being completed next week in Final Cut Pro (the editor is insistent on not rendering from After Effects as he will be on a very tight deadline and has little experience with it).So...I need a technique of exporting a png image sequence with selected solids rendered as transparent the way a background would be so a clip can be pasted underneath in Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Solid Transparency
by on May 12, 2010 at 3:05:12 pm

The techniques Michael suggests for creating that "rectangle of transparency" will work just fine. I further suggest at test: render out ONE PNG frame, email it to the editor, and have him see if it works properly.

If the answer's yes, you can render the entire sequence in confidence. If the answer's no, you have time to trouble shoot and problem-solve.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved