ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Got Legacy AE Projects? Watch out for AE 10!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRondeGot Legacy AE Projects? Watch out for AE 10!
by on May 11, 2010 at 10:47:34 pm

I was looking through the "What's New" section of AE 10, and I ran across this potentially-nasty tidbit: AE 10 will only open project files created in AE 5 or later.

So if you have any old & beloved chestnuts from REALLY early versions of AE, and you think you'd want to revisit in the future, I recommend opening them in AE 5 through 9 and re-saving them.

Adobe may have done something similar in AE 9, but I didn't look.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Got Legacy AE Projects? Watch out for AE 10!
by on May 12, 2010 at 9:17:19 pm

wow, I didn't know that.. Thank you Dave for the update, it's important for me..

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.sinamasal.com
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Got Legacy AE Projects? Watch out for AE 10!
by on May 13, 2010 at 5:31:55 am

If you'll pardon the digression, I looked up some of the new features introduced in AE v5.

Good bye, dongle. Hello, dynamic previews. Expressions. The pick-whip. Parenting. 3D layers. 3D lights. 16 bpc. Mask expansion. The solo switch. Scrubbable property values. Colorama.

While I could get by without Colorama, I don't think I could ever go back to v4!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Got Legacy AE Projects? Watch out for AE 10!
by on May 13, 2010 at 3:56:03 pm

Okay, then think of early-version AE project files as video footage in a soon-to-be-extinct legacy codec. You might not miss that footage, but you never know.........

Case in point: I've got a shot of a Heisman Trophy on a turntable, and it looks great... but originally shot on Beta SP and captured in Media 100. I've converted it from M100 to Targa Cine YUV to ProRes 422. Eventually I just got sick of converting it and went straight to Quicktime's animation.

Besides, I know there aren't too many early-version AE practitioners around. I just thought it was too bad that Adobe's giving up on the ability to be forward-compatible. I hope they did it for a good technical reason, and not that some marketing dunderhead at Adobe simply decided it should be that way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Got Legacy AE Projects? Watch out for AE 10!
by on May 13, 2010 at 4:06:02 pm

I agree 100% -- I think all the discussion about the "digital dark age" is fascinating. Think of all the stuff we saved in proprietary formats on 5.25" floppies 25 years ago that don't exist anywhere else, and that we can't read today. Now we can add our old AE projects to that list.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that work we'd never need to re-visit the work we did 10 years ago. I just thought it was fascinating how many features we take for granted today that we just didn't have until 2001. Thanks to Adobe for all the development they've done -- and I'm looking forward to seeing what AE v15 has to offer 10 years from now.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]