ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Boris Continuum Upgrade Warning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig WallBoris Continuum Upgrade Warning
by on May 11, 2010 at 8:47:59 pm

I just thought I'd give some of you Boris fans a little alert on the version 7 upgrade.

If you buy the Continuum upgrade to work with AE5 you should know something (that they don't tell you).

Some of the suites more important plugins (like Text and Object extrude) are not yet included in the upgrade....that is to say, the 64 bit versions are not included.

That's a pretty huge gotcha and to my knowledge there is no notification about this on the site at all. (Certainly not where you would see it).

Indeed they even have a graphic of their 3d text with their new beat reactor--right adjacent to a big huge 64 bit! graphic. Maybe not the most honest advertising.

Anyway...version 7 is purportedly 25-70% faster...with a few nice new features. I'll see...

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Matthew MullenRe: Boris Continuum Upgrade Warning
by on May 11, 2010 at 9:03:38 pm

If you are going to download or install please read the release notes before doing so:

742_releasenotes.pdf.zip

Sorry for any confusion Craig.

Return to posts index

Craig WallRe: Boris Continuum Upgrade Warning
by on May 11, 2010 at 9:36:31 pm

Your advertising is/was blatantly misleading...

And a post-purchase .pdf is irrelevant.

When should I expect the balance of the plugins to be completed?

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 2:23:35 pm

Craig,

Posting the release notes was meant more for anyone looking to upgrade to avoid this problem. I want to do what we can to help make this right.

I sent you an e-mail about the product plans.

Unfortunately you have a great point and expect another e-mail from me shortly.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Boris Continuum Upgrade Warning
by on May 12, 2010 at 4:18:12 pm

I'm glad to see that you consider 3D extruded text important. We too are very proud of this feature in the package. These 5 filters are available in 64 bit on Windows and in 32 bit on Windows and on Mac. The only place where they are still missing is the 64 bit Mac - by far the most challenging platform for any software featuring it's own UI . The good news is that it is being actively worked on and a free update for all BCC7 users is planned for Q3. As soon as it's available we will notify everyone via a newsletter to which you can subscribe on our web site. I'l post to this forum too. We will make sure this temporary omission is more obvious on our web site.

In the meantime, as a temporary workaround, customers who upgrade from 32 bit versions of AE and BCC can use the old host/plugin combo to render 3D text and import as an alpha movie in new projects. I'm not saying that it's ideal but it's a possible workaround in some situations. Again, we are working hard on rectifying this limitation on the Mac.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Boris Continuum Upgrade Warning
by on May 12, 2010 at 4:32:16 pm

Craig, I'd like to thank you for your original post. Unwittingly or not, you're a real AE consumer watchdog.

Moreover, this thread has been a source of great entertainment. Think back almost 40 years: I see you playing the role of Woodward and Bernstein at the Washington Post, and the Boris folks are guys like H. R. Haldeman, John Erlichman and John Mitchell.

Ain't nothin' more fun to watch than a coverup that's been uncovered....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 4:47:03 pm

Dave,

I'm simply a support guy trying to relay the correct information and right a wrong. Boris is just trying to do the same.

I do not see the relation to Watergate :)

On top of posting here if you want to make sure we see a specific concern or criticism you can always e-mail me directly.

My e-mail is mattm@borisfx.com

Also, glad we could aide in providing some entertainment!

-Matt

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 5:11:24 pm

[Matthew Mullen] "I'm simply a support guy trying to relay the correct information and right a wrong. Boris is just trying to do the same. "

Indeed you are, and that's definitely a good thing. But you have to wonder....

What if NOTHING had been uttered about this situation on sites like the COW? Would the Boris web site folks, in their never-ending zeal, have corrected the obvious oversight and wrong you mention in just a matter of hours?

Think "squeaky wheel" and "grease".

I'm not saying anyone's a bad guy, but from the point of view of a third party, it sure looks like SOMEBODY momentarily got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 5:28:34 pm

Sure you're not saying anyone's a but guy but relating me to the Watergate scandal implies it a bit, or at least I perceived it that way.

I can tell you this oversight was brought to the attention of those who could fix it as soon as Craig first brought it to our attention and it was discussed.

Removing myself from my situation I completely agree with the way you perceive it.

The line between perception and reality is often blurred though as we only have what we can see to form our opinions. I guess that lapse, oversight, or flaw in communication is where the problem(s) stem from. Especially with the technology we have today.

Matt M.

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 8:07:54 pm

Dave I see an otherwise fine company that thought they could cut some ethical corners and get away with it.

As you have noted, If we as consumers don't shout loud enough than other companies increasingly cut corners too in handling their affairs.

I have no doubt that the software upgrade to 64 bit has been more involved than some initially expected. These costs might have hastened rushing a-not-ready upgrade out the door.

But it's still wrong. Boris could have easily made the issue clear in their pre-order solicitation and on their web site. They chose not to do so.

The upgrade is nearly $300...and merits full disclosure about major feature omissions.

Matt is a support person and he probably had nothing to do with Boris' handling of the matter.

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 8:20:14 pm

[Craig Wall] "Matt is a support person and he probably had nothing to do with Boris' handling of the matter...."

I agree. I've been known to say unkind things about Adobe, but do you think I direct them toward Todd Kopriva? Not on your life!

[Craig Wall] "I see an otherwise fine company that thought they could cut some ethical corners and get away with it. "

Yeah, it's not like they didn't know where they were putting those post-purchase release notes. I can just hear someone in the marketing department suggesting, "If we don't tell them about it, maybe they won't notice."

Small wonder David Letterman calls 'em "marketing weasels".

And thanks again for spreading the word. Give yourself a gold star. Or come to sunny Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and I'll buy you a beer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2010 at 8:29:10 pm

Dave,

Sounds great. Iowa is good country!

Cheers,
Craig Wall
Ice Cave Technology

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2010 at 2:45:38 am

To close the loop on the issue of BCC 3D Objects in 64 bit Mac, they are now available as a free update to all BCC 7 customers. Please download the BCC 7.03 update/trial version from our website at

http://borisfx.com/downloads

Sorry for the delay.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

mark bentleyRe: Boris Continuum Upgrade Warning
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 1:39:05 am

Let's not be too hasty and close the book just yet.

I know that this is for the Mac version of the plugin, but it seemed appropriate to post here since there has been no further action, reaction or discussion regarding the continuing crashing problem with the Windows version. To all you Mac folks, don't feel so bad that the 3D plugs were not included because the ones that were included in the Windows version have been just as useless as not having them at all. I think that I'm most disappointed of the fact that BorisFX has not openly acknowledged the problem and has seemingly not done anything about it. And for a thousand bucks, they should be perfect out of the gate.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 30, 2010 at 1:18:23 pm

Wait a minute. The windows version has been solid from day one!

Have you contacted our support about your problem? What is your graphics card and OS?

Sorry about your particular problem and let's work together to resolve it.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]