ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stopmotion - AE newbie!!! Advice needed!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma PhillipsonStopmotion - AE newbie!!! Advice needed!!
by on May 11, 2010 at 8:41:16 pm

OK, so I'm a final year photography student who has (stupidly!!) decided to make a stop motion film for my final degree show...

So I have 100s of tiff images shot with a NIkon d3, all 300dpi, 4256 x 2832, arranged, labelled and ready for editing...

I have looked at various options regarding software, and think (though correct me if I'm wrong) AE might be the best route... thing is I'm clueless, as are most of my tutors, and after days of scouring the web, I have resorted to posting this question on a forum!!

So basically - what I am asking is what would be the best settings for the film? (I have no idea about DV / pal etc etc - I could go read a book, but time is short!!) - I wan to retain the highest quality poss without cropping the images...

Also - how to import images to play as a sequence -

Sorry if this sounds really simple - I've been trying various ways and failing - I can get my head round the effects - v. similar to photoshop - but video editing is proving to be annoyingly confusing for me!!

Thanks for any help!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stopmotion - AE newbie!!! Advice needed!!
by on May 11, 2010 at 9:01:32 pm

[Emma Phillipson] "So I have 100s of tiff images shot with a NIkon d3, all 300dpi, 4256 x 2832, arranged, labelled and ready for editing..."

Excellent. You can use AE to import an Image Sequence. When you do, AE defaults to believing that it should be 30 frames/sec. You can change this to whatever you like in the Interpret Footage settings. Highlight the imported image and go File>Interpret>Main.

Here's how to import it:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Don't weird out that the instructions are for the latest version of AE. This stuff hasn't changed in a long time.

[Emma Phillipson] "what I am asking is what would be the best settings for the film"

That depends: how do you intend to play it back? The playback device almost always determines what you do in AE.

How 'bout a DVD? Good for you? You'll work in a 720x480 DV comp. Do you want widescreen or normal 4x3? Now's the time to decide. You can select from the Comp Presets you'll find when you go Composition>New Composition.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]