ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

credit scrawl

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrei Zagdanskycredit scrawl
by on May 11, 2010 at 4:17:54 pm

I put it simply: I can't render PSD file in After Effects without flicker/stutter and such. Tried everything.
I am offering a modest fee and my gratitude for someone who can give a helping hand to an independent doc filmmaker with a looming deadline.
Beware it's PAL 1920x1080 25p Apple Pro res 422.

Thank you.

Andrei Z.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: credit Roll
by on May 11, 2010 at 4:28:56 pm

Oh, just do it yourself. You WILL, however, have to make a concession in the duration of the credit roll in order to get good-looking text. From my buddy Kevin Camp, here's an expression that should do the trick:

Kevin Camp's AE Flicker-Free Credit Roll Expression:

rate = 2; //value in px/sec.
if (marker.numKeys > 0){
if (time > marker.key(1).time){
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-marker.key(1).time)];
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-inPoint)];

just position the roll where you want it to start and it will march up the screen at the rate that you set. even rate values should be used if you are rendering to an interlaced format, and if you set the rate too high the roll will appear kind of strobe-like.

Don't think a perfect-looking credit roll is an easy thing to achieve: you have to trade off good looks for timing. I have seen some God-awful-looking credit rolls even on on Hollywood movies, the most recent being last year's Star Trek movie... ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan QuinteroRe: credit Roll
by on May 11, 2010 at 4:50:42 pm

Thanks Dave. I've been having some minor issues with Credit Rolls.

This was my current solution...

time*[0, -120] or something like that.

You have to adjust the anchor point to get it to start in the right place, but it was working...

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: credit Roll
by on May 11, 2010 at 5:22:31 pm

Here's a page that has a lot of advice about credit rolls:
"Best practices for creating text and vector graphics for video"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Andrei ZagdanskyRe: credit Roll
by on May 11, 2010 at 4:51:44 pm

you are too generous in assessing my modest AE abilities.
I don't have a clue about expressions.

Andrei Z.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: credit Roll
by on May 11, 2010 at 4:57:00 pm

I don't know much about expressions, either. But here's what I'd do:
  • Copy the expression (in bold)
  • Select the layer and activate expressions for the Position property (Option-click stopwatch icon on Mac)
  • Paste the expression into the appropriate area

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andres Lopez-OvejeroRe: credit Roll
by on May 12, 2010 at 1:29:09 am

Hi guys.

i've been having tremendous trouble with the same issue, and this thread has been very useful. but i've tried Boris, photoshop, you name it. And i've been keeping my text at 92% black and 95% opacity.

actually am using the time*[0,-120] formula right now to bang out a credit roll that has had me pulling my hair out for days. thank you so much for explaining WHERE to insert the expression formula, although the Mercury Jones formula created and error in AE (CS4). any suggestions on that?

Actually... nope, for the hundreth time, no go on the credit roll. I am however reviewing the content on an LCD, but i'm exporting to an M2v to try to compensate and my clients will be watching the video on dvd players in their computers anyway....

any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeDon't Do It!
by on May 12, 2010 at 2:48:02 pm

[Andres Lopez-Ovejero] "...i'm exporting to an M2v..."

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved