ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects/Premiere/ Encoder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron JohnsonAfter Effects/Premiere/ Encoder
by on May 10, 2010 at 10:38:24 pm

So i am creating a movie that incorporates special effects. I saved the clips that have special effects in them as individual projects. I then put those projects into a premiere project. I then exported this project to see if premiere would recognize the After effects projects. This video was successfully exported.After seeing this i deleted this video and went back to my premiere porject and finished up a small bit of editing such as taking sound out of certain spots and trimming several video clips. I then tried to export this project again and the exported video did not work. I tried to import the exported file back into premiere but it said it encountered a generic error. After seeing this i decided to just put the .aep files into media encoder and export them, and then put those video files into premiere, but adobe media encoder says it cant import those files. I am making this movie as part of a class and have limited time so i am unable to use after effects built in exporter because it is slow. Thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects/Premiere/ Encoder
by on May 11, 2010 at 3:53:02 pm

[Aaron Johnson] "I am making this movie as part of a class and have limited time so i am unable to use after effects built in exporter because it is slow."

Haven't you ever heard of rendering out of AE overnight? Most pros do it all the time. Get busy.

Slowness in rendering has some common causes, most of which are easily solved:
• Trying to use Open GL to accelerate renders? Don't: it's not often useful for that. Turn it off.
• Trying to use Multiprocessing with less than 6GB on your machine? Turn it off: you don't have enough RAM.
• Got the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2? If not, get it.
• And the #1 cause of AE weirdness when rendering: the type of footage you're using. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I would convert to Quicktime movies in either the Animation or PNG codecs, using Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or QT Pro do do the job. Got a Windows box? Go for a lossless AVI.

By the way -- don't export, render using the AE Render Queue. And save multiple copies of your project file. And don't forget to wipe your feet when you come inside. And don't slouch.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved