ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

PhotoJPEG Color/Brightness/Gamma Shift

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jody WilsonPhotoJPEG Color/Brightness/Gamma Shift
by on May 10, 2010 at 6:39:52 am

Hi all,

I have a video of non-standard size which has been provided to me by a client. The video was created in China by animators using AE CS4 on Windows, and exported using the PhotoJPEG codec at 100 percent quality.

My client would like me to make additions to this video, which in general terms, demonstrates software. I am taking the video and adding elements (circles, arrows, etc.) to make the voiceover more clear, but not fundamentally changing the original video. These short segments are then being cut in, so it is crucial that the color remain consistent. I am using AE CS4 on a Mac.

According to the Chinese animators, their document is set to 8-bit color depth, with no assigned color profile. Our project and export settings are identical; the only difference is that they use Windows, and I use a Mac. When I export my video, however there is a noticeable gamma shift. What am I doing wrong?

How can I keep the same color values upon export that I had upon import? I understand that I should probably be color managing this video and assigning a color profile, but the original animators had their project set not to color manage. I hope that I have explained this problem properly. A few hours of perusing other forums has indicated that this problem has happened to other people. I am hoping that someone has a solution. I've really been ripping out (what's left of) my hair.

Could it be as simple as Mac vs. PC? I thought that AE CS3 remedied the gamma issues between the two platforms. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PhotoJPEG Color/Brightness/Gamma Shift
by on May 10, 2010 at 3:53:21 pm

Here's some helpful information on the topic of Gamma, and don't worry that it's from AE 9's Online Help:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved