ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

FX advice for a Video Clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julien metayerFX advice for a Video Clip
by on May 9, 2010 at 8:06:44 am

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a video clip as part of my school project. The idea is to have the band playing in their garage and having the walls shattering to reveal a salt lake background behind.

Ok so I'm not sure how to make this happen. Especially how to match the backgrounds when the camera is moving. I could put trackers on my green screen but since both backgrounds (garage and salt lake) are real and not generated in 3D it's not a really a matchmoving, is it??
Will it be just shooting the band against the green screen and get "roughly" the same camera move at the locations? and do a rough match?

Thanks for your comments!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: FX advice for a Video Clip
by on May 9, 2010 at 5:00:41 pm

Unless you have a computer controlled camera rig, here's an idea:
Shoot the band on green screen and track the camera move. Make sure you put on the set a few real objects that should be in the garage, that you can easily pull away with strings when the walls are supposed to shatter.
Take high rez pics of the garage walls and build a 3d garage in AE- it should be pretty straight forward since most angles are straight. Animate camera in AE using the 3d track data from the shoot to match camera move, and position the 3d garage in place. Shatter the walls using particles.
Build a similar environment of the salt lake (use Trapcode Horizon), shoot with the same AE camera and reveal in the back when the garage shatters.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved