ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing HDV1080p30 Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracey WestImporting HDV1080p30 Footage
by on May 8, 2010 at 11:05:35 pm

I know that issues with HDV footage have been discussed previously, so I apologize if this problem has been touched on before.

The footage I am working with is as follows:
Format: HDV 1080p30, 1920x1080, Millions
Movie FPS: 29.97
Frame FPS: 29.97
Data Size: 269.18 MB
Data Rate: 24.98 mbits/sec

When I import into AE the preview only displays a white screen. Could this be caused through a composition setting mistake, or something else? I thought that the main problem with using HDV in AE was the interlacing issue, but that I shouldn't have this problem using progressive and at the very least I should still get an image. If it would be easier to convert my footage to some other format what software should I use to go about this? Thank you for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing HDV1080p30 Footage
by on May 9, 2010 at 3:10:51 am

A white screen is a sure sign of a missing video codec. Can you see the footage in other software on your machine?

Since I'm a Mac guy, I always favor converting HDV footage to Quicktime's PNG codec. Yeah, the files are lots bigger, but that's life in AE-Land. Moreover, you HAVE to convert HDV footage to something else. For anexplanation why, do a search for "Dave's Stock Answer #1". It shows up almost every day in some thread.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tracey WestRe: Importing HDV1080p30 Footage
by on May 9, 2010 at 4:24:10 am

The footage does show up in VLC Player. What software would you suggest for converting to PNG?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved