ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

60p @ 24p in slow motion (rebel t2i footage)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Ledy60p @ 24p in slow motion (rebel t2i footage)
by on May 8, 2010 at 8:03:28 am

Hey All,

Did a search but can't seem to find what i'm looking for, if it's posted and i'm an ass for not finding it, my apologies.

Recently shot some 720p60p footage with the canon rebel t2i. I want to play it back in a 24p comp and use all available frames so that it plays at roughly 40% speed, not realtime. Then i want to play around with timewarp and see how slow i can make the footage without gaining too many strange artifacts.

I've changed my composition settings to 23.98 but AE plays back the footage in real time, I've also tried rendering out as 23.98 from the 59.94 comp in the render options, but this too produces a quicktime that plays real time. I know I can use timewarp or time remapping to make the clip slower, but i want to make sure i'm spreading out the 60 frames per second that i captured into 60 frames over ~3 seconds without dropping actual frames.

I'm sure there is a quick solution i'm overlooking, thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 60p @ 24p in slow motion (rebel t2i footage)
by on May 8, 2010 at 3:29:52 pm

Several things:
1) To change the speed of your footage, do it in the Interpret footage window. Highlight the footage and go File>Interpret>Main. Find the frame rate and change it.

2) DON'T USE 23.98!!!! That's just a nickname for the actual film frame rate, which is 23.976. In AE, always use 23.976. Got it?

3) Once you've conformed the footage to the proper frame rate, just drag it onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window. There's your comp, all settings correct.

4) If this footage is still in H.264, you'll have to convert it to a different codec. Since I'm a Mac guy, I always like Quicktime's PNG codec: it's lossless. Why do you have to do this? Do a search for Dave's Stock Answer #1 to find out. It's ESPECIALLY important to do this if you're going to fool around with footage speed.

5) Get used to big file sizes when working in AE. Ain't no way 'round not having big files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jordan LedyRe: 60p @ 24p in slow motion (rebel t2i footage)
by on May 8, 2010 at 6:03:35 pm

Thank you dave for the quick and extensive answer. Was not aware that h264 isn't uniformed compressed, so that you for stock answer #1 (i've usually used Apple ProRes 422 HQ from the panasonic HVX and haven't run into those problems, so thanks for foreseeing my next issue before i posted about it! I will try PNG with these files).

Should've gone to interpret footage dialog box in the first place! It's always the last place you look where you should be looking! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved