ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to creat coloured character on a old movie type background(actually an colored background converted to look old)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suneel Seethamraju
How to creat coloured character on a old movie type background(actually an colored background converted to look old)
on May 7, 2010 at 5:19:07 pm

Hi, I'm working on a project in which I need one of my character to be in full colour and the other character and the background in old film look (mainly black and white feel , exactly speaking 1940's film look) and then when they come together in a scene the whole screen should change back to color. I've shot the characters on green screen and i have a background plate seperate. Please help me in creating effect and please feel free to ask me any further info needed... please forgive my poor english

Thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: How to creat coloured character on a old movie type background(actually an colored background converted to look old)
on May 7, 2010 at 7:54:34 pm

If you got the characters shot on green screen then it should be easy. Put the colored character above an adjustment layer and the other one + the background layer under it. Apply Magic Bullet or any other plugins to obtain the film look for the character + background, then play with opacity to reveal back the color. If you want to make it more spectacular, you could animate masks on the adjustment layers with feathering to reveal color in moving shapes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Suneel Seethamraju
Re: How to creat coloured character on a old movie type background(actually an colored background converted to look old)
on May 8, 2010 at 2:07:48 am

Hi Ted,

Thanks a lot for the reply... :D . There is one small problem. I have the footage of both the characters indivudially just for the reason to use then on individual layer. However, For one of the scenes I had to shoot both the characters on in a single shot (both characters on the same green screen at the same time). This part is worrying the most :( . And also can you tell me where can I get the plugins you were talking adout to get the old movie effect please.

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Suneel.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 9, 2010 at 5:10:43 pm

"For one of the scenes I had to shoot both the characters on in a single shot (both characters on the same green screen at the same time)"
Use a mask to separate the two characters- duplicte layer and invert mask- you have the two characters on separate layers.
Plug-ins red giant software - Magic Bullet, but you can create a simple b&w look with the basic AE plug-ins. You can find tutorials here on the Cow- just do a little searching...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Suneel Seethamraju
on May 14, 2010 at 7:06:04 am

Hi,

thanks a lot for the help... and sorry for the late response. I have the complete footage that I have to work with... So, i'll post it up if I have any problem working on it :D . Thanks a lot once again.

Suneel Seethamraju

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]