ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Opening ink/liquid to text "SUPERNATURAL" title effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McBrideOpening ink/liquid to text "SUPERNATURAL" title effect
by on May 7, 2010 at 12:55:02 pm

After a VERY long time being stuck doing Project Management and Avid Editing I realize that staring at AFX yesterday I felt like what it must be when those pod people take you over or you get a shapeshifter clone on FRINGE; I used to live sleep and breathe AFX and all the latest toys, and so when my guys were all booked & the opportunity to have a legitimate chance to gey my hands dirty in AFX came I LEAPT at it thinking, oh, that "bloody-ink-splash-title=sequence from CW's Supernatural this season should be a cinch.
...and I am still sitting here - I'm no stranger to the updated interfaces or the cool toys like all the Red Giant plugs but hey when I cut my teeth I back on AFX 6.5 I could render circles around anyone LOL SO after a much long absence I thought I would cast my net out and see if this kickin forum of geniuses can help a guy feel at least KIND of UN-stupid... Am I looking at this as a legit AFX do-able effect or should I be firing up and headed over to a Maya Shader forum instead? Or is there an existing tutorial or thread already for something similar to text bursting in from a bloody inky liquid ? If you wanna see the site has full eps or clips and I just had a request for a title effect like this (well similar to it enough) one for a client's indie trailer, so I am hoping you guys can give me some direction....?
THANKS! Boy I feel old but my first gig was working at Nickelodeon Studios doing 3D Animation in its infancy when I was 17 so it's like software years are worse than dog years if you get pulled into the admin side, wow! LOL Thanks guys!

Mike McBride
Frostbite Films
"Do....or do not. There is no try."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Opening ink/liquid to text "SUPERNATURAL" title effect
by on May 7, 2010 at 6:00:55 pm

[Michael McBride] "I cut my teeth I back on AFX 6.5..."

Welcome back to AE! The good news: the fundamentals haven't changed much at all! Keyframes, 3D, lights expressions, text layers... they're all still there.

And as you might expect, a LOT has changed in the world of third-party plugins, plus changes in AE itself. Some big deals have been the introduction of per-character 3D text animation, planar tracking, darned good color correction, the Puppet tool, Brainstorm... and most recently, vastly easier rotoscoping. Particle systems have become all the rage, too.

Remember the AE novices who thought they could just jump into the deep end of the pool? Remember how you'd take them aside and say, "...let me 'splain something to you here, son..."?
You're sort of in the same boat.

If you don't mind a little remedial work to get back up to speed, go to to watch great tutorials and learn some cool new techniques. You'll be able to breeze right through 'em. Securing Total Training's stuff for AE 9 would be marvelous... and again, you can skip much of the basics, and get right into the meat. Chris and Trish Meyer still crank out great AE books too, plus they have great AE info on the web site, the Pro Video Coalition

On the COW, we're blessed with good AE tutorials for lots of techniques -- you should look at those, too.

But probably the best AE resource comes from Adobe itself in the person of Mr. Todd Kopriva, the AE documentation guy. He maintains AE's online help, continually updating its pages, and adding info. It's like getting a revised AE manual every time you turn around. My only knock on it: there should be more screen grabs and window grabs to show where the various switches and buttons are located. That used to be an important part of the manual, and I either miss it or I don't know where to look for it.

Todd's in this forum as often as time allows, patiently answering repeatedly-asked AE trivia, and correcting my frequent misconceptions. Now, I don't mean this as an insult, but you really should check out Todd's blogs at Adobe, and here's the first one to check, called "Getting Started With After Effects". Again, you can breeze through much of it, but still pick up valuable information:

But keep this in mind: less than 2 weeks ago, Adobe started shipping the latest version of AE, version 10, aka AE CS5. I'd recommend starting with a clean slate and get it if you can.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Opening ink/liquid to text "SUPERNATURAL" title effect
by on May 11, 2010 at 7:40:09 pm

I would like to join Dave in welcoming you back to the world of AE.

I would also echo his suggestions to go through the basics and the tutorials. There is also a list of great AE resources here.

As for text from liquid, I managed to do get a somewhat inky text effect using a layer of fractal noise to drive a displacement map and a compound blur effect. (That was on my home machine so I don't have it here at the moment.) You might also look at vector blur.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved