can't render the whole composition - must quit and restart each step

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Ruber
can't render the whole composition - must quit and restart each step
on May 7, 2010 at 9:57:25 am

Hi all,

I have a problem that is making my job very slow:

1) I made some compositions (about 5-6 mins each comp) but when I try to render any one of them ("loosless" rendering preset) ae is not able to render the whole comp. I made some tests and the best I can do is to render them divided in smaller parts (45 secs maximum).

2) Now, after having duplicated my comp and setting the working area properly (each duplication with a different 45 secs area to be rendered) I put them in my render queue.

But ae cannot elaborate the whole queue ! :( After the first render in queue, it starts the second but during soing it it fails.

I have noticed that my filepaging keeps almost the same value during the first render but after it, it increases close to the maximum allowed in windows xp 32bit.

If after render 1 I quit ae and switch it on again, the file paging comes back to the "safe value" and I can make render 2 with no problems. Then I have to quit ae again and so on...

Is there a way to solve at least the file paging problem? I mean, if ae could "purge" something automatically and come back to the "safe value" of file paging, I could start the queue and don't care until it's finished. I have tried with the purg command but with no success, I actually have to quit and open again ae.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: can't render the whole composition - must quit and restart each step
on May 7, 2010 at 2:37:34 pm

You can tell AE to purge after a set number of frames. Go to AE Preferences while holding the shift key. After much searching, you will find it.

Other very common things that can slow and stop a render are:
  • Not having the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2 -- you should get it
  • Trying to use multiprocessing with 4-6 GB RAM or less -- turn off multiprocessing
  • Using Open GL acceleration for renders -- turn it off
  • Using the wrong kind of footage -- read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carlo Ruber
on May 7, 2010 at 3:12:26 pm

Thank you for your prompt answer Dave :)

Actually I had already told ae to purge after 10 frames in the secret preferences before posting :(

I'll try the other tips you have written.

Thank you again ;)

Return to posts index

Carlo Ruber
on May 7, 2010 at 4:39:18 pm

I tried all the points you suggested but unfortunately, nothing changed.

The strange thing is that even when the total amount of ram / filepaging involved seems to be far from the limit (since I unchecked multiprocessing rendering), I still can't render more than 1 item in queue and no more than 45 seconds of comp per time.

I tried to render a 6 mins comp and the render fails at 47 secs (with the file paging at 1.7 gb). When I render the same comp splitted in 45 seconds parts, it works (but again, only if I render only one item in queue, then quit ae, restart it and render the next one)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 7, 2010 at 5:06:42 pm

We've eliminated the COMMON causes for such problems. Now it gets more complicated.

To make an accurate diagnosis, we need to know more a bout the nature of your comps -- the number of layers, 2D/3D, the types of effects you're using, lights, the horizontal and vertical dimensions of large layers... anything you think would help in the diagnosis.
Plus the types of footage you imported into AE -- video, Illustrator (and version), TGA, TIFF, and their codecs, if any.
And don't forget the type of system you're using -- OS, any special software you run, any special hardware, version of AE, etc.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]