ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d layer & shadows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heidi Kumao3d layer & shadows
by on May 6, 2010 at 8:35:10 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to do something that I think should be simple but I can't seem to figure it out.
I have a 2D image layer that is 3D and I'm wanting to keyframe its rotation on the Y axis.
When I add the drop shadow, the shadow follows the rotating layer, but I need it to stay on the background.

I've tried pre-composing and adding the drop shadow later. I've tried lights with a background--but I still end up with the same problem--the shadow follows the object. I tried to use some tutorial's expression but that didn't work either (my expression use is pretty limited). Am I missing something really simple?

Any advice appreciated.
Heidi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d layer & shadows
by on May 6, 2010 at 9:48:23 pm

You can't use the Drop Shadow effect to do what you want. You'll need a camera layer and light layer in addition to what you already have. All layers need to be 3D.

Set the Material Options switches on the pre-existing layers to Accepts Lights and Casts Shadows... well, I guess the background layer wouldn't need to cast a shadow, so leave the Casts Shadows switch off on it.

The background layer should be placed forward in 3D space: positive numbers on the z-axis.. Scale it up to fill the background again if necessary. Move the light backward in 3D space: negative numbers on the z-axis. Put the shadow casting layer between the light and background in 3D space. Aim the light at the background, and you should see a shadow being cast by your image layer.

When you work in 3D, things get tricker an more complicated.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Heidi KumaoRe: 3d layer & shadows
by on May 10, 2010 at 4:45:39 pm

Hi,
I did what you suggested, which was similar to what I had done before, but I'm still getting the same issue. I am hoping to get the shadow to APPEAR to remain on the background plane and it seems to rotate/move with the graphic--a close distance behind it. Perhaps I need a real 3D program?

Is there an expressions way to do this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d layer & shadows
by on May 10, 2010 at 5:08:56 pm

[Heidi Kumao] "Perhaps I need a real 3D program? "

It's more likely that you made errors when working in 3D in AE. I suggest you get a look at some of these:
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

...and check this out, too:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: 3d layer & shadows
by on May 7, 2010 at 5:10:44 am

sometimes i dupe my comps image... offset it, pull the color out and fast blur it. It will stay with your image because it IS your image.

just a thought...

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3d layer & shadows
by on May 7, 2010 at 5:03:29 pm

A quick fix if you don't want cameras and lights, is to precompose the layer that rotates moving the attributes in the new comp and then apply to the precomped layer "radial shadow" with "resize layer" checked on.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

by on May 10, 2010 at 4:51:47 pm

Hi,
I did that and that's helpful for some things, but not quite right for this situation.
I'm trying to make a door open and rotate on the Y-axis in 3D space.
When it rotates, the shadow seems to follow right behind the door rather than stay on the "wall" (layer) behind it.

I realize that the shadow is a part of the 3D layer and of course must go where the layer goes, but is there some trick to separating them and making it APPEAR as if the shadow is ON the back wall and stay on the back wall?

Heidi

Return to posts index

by on May 10, 2010 at 4:48:18 pm

Hi,
When you say "offset" it, do you mean in space--its position?

What I'm trying to do is to get a more realistic shadow of a prison door opening and the shadow just doesn't seem real when it follows so closely next to the graphic of the door.

Is it best just to fiddle with it with copies of the layer and position keyframes or is there some other way to make a shadow seem to STAY on the back wall/plane? Expressions or something else?

Heidi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]