ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Are masked colour solids vecto or bitmap.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve dannAre masked colour solids vecto or bitmap.
by on May 6, 2010 at 8:06:51 am

I'm using a mask to cut out a map coastline on a colour solid but when I scale it up it loses quality as though its a bitmap. I thought AE was vector (apart obviously from imported video and photos etc. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Are masked colour solids vecto or bitmap.
by on May 6, 2010 at 3:54:31 pm

[steve dann] "I thought AE was vector (apart obviously from imported video and photos etc. "

Nope; I don't know where you got that impression. It's primarily bitmap. Think about it a moment.

Sure, AE can work with vector graphics, but what do you have to do when you scale 'em up? You have to click on that little sun-shaped switch called "Collapse Transformations / Continuously RASTERIZE", right? Well, does any proper vector graphic you know about have a raster? But bitmapped images certainly do. So when you hit that switch, AE is converting the vector image to a bitmapped image.

And when you make a solid, don't you have to assign it a size -- even if you simply hit the Make Comp Size button -- meaning that it's a certain amount of pixels horizontally and vertically? Sounds like it's bitmapped to me!

And what happens when you scale up a bitmapped image? It looks lousy.

But don't lose all hope, here. There's an easy Plan B if -- and ONLY if -- the solid you're working with has square pixels. Finish the coastline mask, and then change the size of the solid! Look on the link and learn:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Don't get weirded out that it's Help for AE 10. They haven't changed how solids work in quite a few versions.

If you made a solid using nonsquare pixels, you have to take the pixel aspect ratio into accout when you change the size... hope you're good at arithmetic!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2010 at 4:15:45 pm

Whoops, I left out a couple of steps. Sorry.

When you make the solid bigger, multiply the dimensions by an integer: it's easier to do the arithmetic. Make it big enough so you have to scale it down eventually.

Then it's time to scale up the mask: double-click on the mask, activating the Free Transform box. Holding down the command-shift keys, grab a corner of the box and scale it up -- it maintains both its position relative to the solid and scales proportionately.

Now you're ready to use it -- just scale and position as necessary to do your voodoo.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Are masked colour solids vecto or bitmap.
by on May 6, 2010 at 5:20:17 pm

I'm going to disagree with Dave here and say that solids are vector based*. You simply need to hit the continuosly rasterize switch - You should be good to go. The only caveat is that it affects the render order. That's a whole different thread.

*Note - I think the AE versions prior to CS3 the solids were bitmapped. Hopefully Todd will chime in and clarify this point. I could be wrong about this, it wouldn't be the first time.

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2010 at 5:53:36 pm

[Gary Hazen] "I'm going to disagree with Dave here and say that solids are vector based... I think the AE versions prior to CS3 the solids were bitmapped."

Well, there's one way to know for sure!

Got AE 8 or later? Make a solid, put a curvy mask on it, turn on the Continually Rasterize switch and scale up the layer.

I'm nowhere near my AE machine, so I can't do that. Tell us what you find out, okay?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

steve dannRe: Are masked colour solids vecto or bitmap.
by on May 6, 2010 at 6:46:12 pm

Thank you both for the time and trouble to answer my query. More complicated than I thoufght, as usual. I wil do the necessary research now I know where to look, forgot all about 'rasterize' !

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Are masked colour solids vecto or bitmap.
by on May 6, 2010 at 6:59:26 pm

Solid layer scaled to 800% on CS4 looks clean here.

I have AE 6 at the house on a G5 I'll check that later tonight, unless of course Todd chimes in before then.

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2010 at 7:22:59 pm

[Gary Hazen] "Solid layer scaled to 800% on CS4 looks clean here. "

I'll assume that included a curvy mask, which would really show the nastiness of scaling up.

In which case, I learned something new today about AE... thanks!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

steve dannSOLVED Are masked colour solids vector or bitmap.
by on May 6, 2010 at 8:10:39 pm

Thank you all. I'm embarrassed to admit my problem was thatthe rasterise button wasn't on. Simple as that. DOH !!!! Everything looking good now.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: SOLVED Are masked colour solids vector or bitmap.
by on May 6, 2010 at 10:14:59 pm

Well, thanks to Mr. Hazen's brief experiment, we both learned something new today.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: SOLVED Are masked colour solids vector or bitmap.
by on May 7, 2010 at 1:00:00 am

They changed the nature of solids at one point, Dave. It was a big deal, if I recall.

Well, to us AE geeks, anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]