ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Attaching waiving leaves to puppeted, moving tree

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin GrossAttaching waiving leaves to puppeted, moving tree
by on May 5, 2010 at 9:50:58 pm

So I'm trying to create a very detailed but illustrative, vector type tree for a zoom through. I'd like to have animated, quaking leaves attached to animated, gently waiving branches.

I was thinking of having a leaf in a pre-comp with the anchor point at the stem and a wiggle on the three rotation parameters. Then I'd like to attach the stems all over my branches. Easy enough, right?

If I wanted to animate the branches using the puppet tool, is there a way to keep the leaves attached to the branches so they'll follow them about? It's OK if they continue to move quake about randomly from stem up, just want them to follow the gentle, subtle movements of the branches.

Once I zoom out, or before I zoom in (I haven't decided) I can change to an image with much simpler animation, like some displacement on a general leafy texture.

Thanks

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Attaching waiving leaves to puppeted, moving tree
by on May 5, 2010 at 10:20:03 pm

I can't think of any way to get this to work unless the tree ultimately looks like a 2D object: no 3D branches with their perspective changing as the camera moves.

If that's okay, make a bunch of leaves in Illustrator, animate them in 3D nested comps, attach 'em to the tree as 2D layers, and you're pretty much done.

[Corbin Gross] "I can change to an image with much simpler animation"

Cripes, after all the effort to make that tree, why would you want to?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Corbin GrossRe: Attaching waiving leaves to puppeted, moving tree
by on May 5, 2010 at 10:32:22 pm

2D might actually look pretty cool. Maybe like a pop-up book or something. You know, I could do a super tight shot of the quaking leaves and then a very speedy pull back. then I can jump right from a easily digestible couple dozen leaves to a shot of the forest, no sweat.

"Cripes, after all the effort to make that tree, why would you want to?"

For the wide shot, I was picturing a dozen or so of these similar trees and I just can't bare the thought of animating all those leaves. If it works, i could duplicate the tree but I'm sure the render hit would be crazy.

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Dan QuinteroRe: Attaching waiving leaves to puppeted, moving tree
by on May 5, 2010 at 10:47:32 pm

Make an Ai. file with bunch of leaves, in a grid, bring it into AE and run the card effect. Then parent that comp to some points in your branches. It should work.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]