ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Track and Add Reflections

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason McKee
Track and Add Reflections
on May 5, 2010 at 8:33:17 pm

Alright I'm sure this is fairly simple but I've run into this a few times. I feel stupid asking this question but I want to do this the right way.
What I would like to do is track an object that should have a reflection and then replace or add a reflection. the problem is that if you tack an object you can't just use that track for the reflections placement since the background reflection moves at a different rate than the foreground object you just tracked. here's a minor example of what I'm talking about (go 50 seconds in):

http://boundaryvfx.com/reel

As you will see he has to remove the tracking marks and then replace the reflection. there's not a lot of motion in this example so you might be able to just do this by hand but I'd like to know how to do it right.
Do you first track the object then reverse or smooth or slow down the track to keep it relatively tracked but offset?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
-jm

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Track and Add Reflections
on May 6, 2010 at 3:43:23 am

Since you already know the issues invovled, you're way ahead of the pack. The trick is to give it a good eyeball your sense of pace. Take note that the object/scene being reflected moves depending on its own characteristics - so, there is no correct way to do the reflection for all occasions.

A good eyebal and a good sense of pace based on what is being reflected should do the trick.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Track and Add Reflections
on May 6, 2010 at 6:06:27 am

You should also check the COW's Expressions Forum to invert Transform values.

Cheers
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]