ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mac Pro memory issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chema Gomez
Mac Pro memory issues
on May 4, 2010 at 9:59:25 pm

Hi there!!

I would like to know which will be the best settings for my After effect CS4 preferences in terms of memory to handle XDCAM EX footages?

As well I would like to know what upgrade I can do in my Mac pro to get the best performance. I have 6GB of Ram, how much will be necessary to work with these kind of footages?

As well I have the ATI RAdeon 4870, It's this card enough or I have to buy another one?

Thanks for your help!!

Chema

Chema Gomez
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Apple LED Cinema Display 24''

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mac Pro memory issues
on May 4, 2010 at 10:26:34 pm

Forget about using multiprocessing in AE with just 6GB RAM. You wouldn't get a lot out of the benefits of multiprocessing, and it just might slow you down a bit, even. The best thing you can do for your Mac to improve performance is to GET MORE RAM. A total of 16GB would be good, and 32 GB even better.

I'm more worried about that XDCam EX footage. Wikipedia has this to say about it: "...The recorded video is carried in an MP4 file wrapper..."

I say you should convert it to ProRes 422 as you capture in Final Cut Pro. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chema Gomez
on May 5, 2010 at 12:37:27 am

Hi Dave!!

Thanks so much for the quick answer!! You are totally right with multiprocessing... I had tried to and my AF just got crazy when render... Thanks for let me know as I thought that was my way of setting it up...

About the prores convertion I just have a few issues... I'm editing my project in FCP and im doing it with my sequences in XDCAM EX... always when I export any file to import it in AF I just hit export/quicktime movie/ current settings.... I suppose that with this workflow I get XDCAM EX files (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very dummy with all this codec things). To get Pro res I have to do the same thing but just choose prores in the pop up menu (current setting menu), but I found that there is a few different pro res codec, HQ, LT, Proxi or simply nothing.... Which one should I choose?

And another question is about FCP... I don't know if you know about FCP or I should make this question in another Forum ( let me know), well the question is that I'm in the middle of a project that I start with XDCAM EX sequence settings and all my files are XDCAM EX files... now I found that maybe it's better to edit the project in Pro res, so I want to pass all my footages to pro res and keep the cut that I have already done.....It's a way to convert all my files to Pro res and relink them to maintain my rough cut?

and just the last question... Sorry!!! It's better to edit my project in pro res? if I shoot it in XDCAM EX 1080p25...or it's fine to edit it in the XDCAM EX. I would like to grade it in Color after and make the output in Blu ray...

Thanks for your help

Chema

Chema Gomez
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 5, 2010 at 2:57:42 pm

[Chema Gomez] " I'm editing my project in FCP and im doing it with my sequences in XDCAM EX... To get Pro res I have to do the same thing but just choose prores in the pop up menu (current setting menu), but I found that there is a few different pro res codec, HQ, LT, Proxi or simply nothing.... Which one should I choose?"

Since you've already started the project, I would duplicate the FCP edit timeline and change the codec to ProRes 422. Use this timeline ONLY to export to AE. This isn't the best way to do things in FCP, but it will keep you going.

[Chema Gomez] "I'm in the middle of a project that I start with XDCAM EX sequence settings and all my files are XDCAM EX files... now I found that maybe it's better to edit the project in Pro res, so I want to pass all my footages to pro res and keep the cut that I have already done...."

I would ask about this on the COW's FCP forum. I have never personally had to do this.

[Chema Gomez] "It's better to edit my project in pro res?.... I would like to grade it in Color after and make the output in Blu ray... "

Since you intend to go to Color, you should absolutely capture your footage as ProRes 422, and edit in a ProRes timeline. Certain editing applications don't care very much which codec you use. FCP is not one of those applications. When dealing with any kind of temporally-compressed codecs like XDCam EX, life gets instantly better using ProRes in FCP.

Please note: AE will have access to the ProRes family of codecs for rendering purposes only if it is on the same computer as FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
I found it!
on May 6, 2010 at 8:52:25 pm

I KNEW I saw a tutorial on capturing HDV to ProRes! Here it is:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/poisson_chris/hdv-prores.php

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chema Gomez
Re: I found it!
on May 8, 2010 at 12:39:12 pm

Thanks Dave!! but it's not what I;m looking for... these way it's to capture before you start your edit. but I start my edit already and what I want it's to transfer all my media to prores and keep editing the same project without losing any rough cut!!! I don't have any tape or media store other than on my hard drive... and it's already capture in XDCAM EX.

Actually nobody replaies me about how to do that so I'm going to keep working like that if nothing turn up... One question about to export some of my media to AF... Could I export my files to Prores before I import them to AF and then export then in XDCAM EX to put them back in my timeline? would it this minimise the problem that AF has with XDCAM EX?

Thanks for your help

Chema

Chema Gomez
6GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4870

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]