ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

View Options, motion paths

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Nishii
View Options, motion paths
on May 4, 2010 at 2:38:19 pm

Does anybody know how to lock a view of a motion path while they work on other layers?
I have a moving camera following a null moving in Z space. I'd like to be able to see the motion path of the moving null and the wireframe of the camera while positioning other layers in the comp. I can watch the camera wireframe by selecting "on" in the view options (although I'd love to be able to lock view just a selected camera and not all cameras), but If I select the moving null to see its motion path, I can't change the position of other layers without affecting the position of the null. If I lock the null layer, I can't select it to see its path......ummmmm

There must be a way to do what I want....

Brian

Return to posts index

Fedor Belenky
Re: View Options, motion paths
on Jun 16, 2010 at 8:25:28 am

I'm following this Thread for over a month now. Unfortunally it wasn't replied by anybody. I would be very glad if anyone could tell a few words about this topic.

Return to posts index

Fedor Belenky
on Jul 13, 2010 at 5:08:40 pm

it's so frustrating...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:05:46 pm

[Brian Nishii] "I'd love to be able to lock view just a selected camera and not all cameras"

You have multiple cameras? You can have only one camera active at any one time: the uppermost camera in the timeline. If you trim the out point of the uppermost camera, the camera below it becomes the active camera on the next frame.

Another option: if you want to see a particular camera, you can leave it on, and turn all others off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fedor Belenky
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:40:52 pm

I appreciate You taking time to answer this very much.

This topic is not neccessary about the look through a particular camera, but more about the visualisation of the camera's motion path from the side. And it's about visualisation of motion paths in general.

Imagine, You want to position two motion paths relative to each other. You want, as You are working on one motion path, to have the other one visible. Unfortunally, as You deselect an object, it's motion paths becomes invisible.

Or - to pick up the example of Brian Nishii - if You want to place some trees along the motion path of a camera, it would be amazing to see the motion path of the camera, wouldn't it?

I'm afraid, Your answer would be that this is not possible in AE.

I hope, could make myself understandable.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:54:15 pm

You mean that you're unable to select two layers (Command-click on layer - Mac) in the timeline, revealing the layer and any motion path it has?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonathan Marino
on Jul 18, 2012 at 3:17:23 pm

2 Years later - This was the only thread that came close to approaching the issue I am having.

Problem - I am positioning elements along the path of a camera. When the camera is selected you clearly see the motion path. When I then click to another layer to move my elements along the path, the camera's motion path is no longer visible.

Solution - Allow camera path to remain visible when other layers are selected.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

Xavier Gomez
on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:23:14 pm

That would be super helpful, and very easy to implement (a small icon to click to enable motion path view even when the layer is deselected).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]