ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

preview monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christofer Wetterholmpreview monitor
by on May 3, 2010 at 12:50:57 pm

Some short questions regarding the MXO2 mini.

Today when i preview my material i do it on a hd lcd thru a blackmagic intensity card but i am thinking about buying a matrox mxo2 mini mostly because the calibration feature, but i am not shure.

So i am wondering if someone have been using the mxo card and could tell me how it works with AE

Does it show the ram previews in realtime or does it drop in framerate (The intensitycard did that earlyier)
Is the calibration tool usefull and is this card a good soloution for monitoring and grading with AE.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: preview monitor
by on May 4, 2010 at 1:10:35 am

I bought the MXO2 mini last month and the calibration is OK but it does drop the frame rate on some RAM previews.

There are many options for how the Comp is displayed. I have a 1080p monitor and when the Comp previews full screen it plays at a lower frame rate (not really dropping frames) usually around 20fps for a 720p 29.97 fps comp.

If don't have I have After Effects display the full screen, in other words just use 720 lines of resolution instead of scaling to 1080, the frame rate is fine but the screen is both letter and pillar boxed.

This is on an 8 core Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM and the nVidia 8800 GT 512MB VRAM.

The MXO only supports 8bit display through After Effects though with Premiere and FCP it supports 10bit.

Return to posts index

Christofer WetterholmRe: preview monitor
by on May 10, 2010 at 7:54:27 am

Thanks for your input!

I bought the mini yesterday and it seems to be working fine.
I had a little struggle getting the calibration to work properly it seemed like its depending on how the monitor is set up. I have a 1080p lcd "television" and when it was set on "Standard"mode i could not get a good calibration but when i set it on"Dynamic" it worked out quite good.

I also have slower playback when rendering 1080 p and its not fun at all but maybe a update will fix that.
I will try your tip and not scale it in the setings.

But the main thing i am wondering about is how much i can trust the calibrated signal?
I really want to know that what i see on the monitor looks god in broadcast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved