ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rendering Canon 5d Mark II files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
annabelle breakeyrendering Canon 5d Mark II files
by on May 3, 2010 at 2:42:06 am

Hi there- I am importing canon 5d Mark II files and combining them with still images in AE. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around which settings to use in the render queue drop down menus. I eventually want to put my short films on my web site. Sometimes when I render out the compositions, the video looks stretched sideways. Is there a good place to go to learn about what all the different options in the drop down menus are for? I have looked at the adobe site and it is really hard to understand-

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: rendering Canon 5d Mark II files
by on May 3, 2010 at 6:14:45 am

What output settings you choose depends on your application for the AE render? If yes, then what is the purpose?

There is no good place to learn all the options within the menu because AE isn't the best app to output to a number of the options. Hence, no sane person has spent the time to cover all the opttions there.

For uncompressed or lightly compressed output, AE does as good a job as is possible.

For lower quality renders, more compressed requirements, AE is not ideal. You'll want at least the Adobe Media Encoder or an app with more options. For such output, you will still want a high quality rendered file from AE. Then use this outut in a dedicated compression software.

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: rendering Canon 5d Mark II files
by on May 3, 2010 at 4:03:27 pm

There are a few things going on here:

• That camera of yours records H.264 files. Unless you just got AE 10, they're toxic to AE. You can use Adobe Media Encoder to convert the files to either lossless or uncompressed.
* Unless you got the firmware upgrade for your camera, it can only shoot at 30fps, but the frame rate for video in NTSC-land is 29.97. Unless you're doing work for the web EXCLUSIVELY -- i.e., this will NEVER, EVER show up on TV or DVD -- this will cause problems.
• It's always best to render lossless or uncompressed out of AE, and use a different application to compress for the web.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benj RocheRe: rendering Canon 5d Mark II files
by on May 4, 2010 at 12:49:36 am

I use Compressor for 5D footage. If you happen to have Final Cut Studio this is also a good option.

I use the HQ Pro Res preset or the Proxy preset depending on what I am doing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved