ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5 still breaks into multiple processes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiri FialaCS5 still breaks into multiple processes
by on May 2, 2010 at 10:25:58 am

Why is After Effects CS5 still divided into multiple processes when multiprocessing? I thought it was due to memory limitation (2 GB per process) in 32bit OSes, which is now gone. It means MP RAM-previews are still slow due to loading the projects into background processes.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS5 still breaks into multiple processes
by on May 2, 2010 at 8:55:03 pm

It's often useful to have more than one process running simultaneously, so each can render its own frame.

If you don't want to use the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature, then you don't need to. Even with that preference turned off, After Effects can use multiple threads on multiple processors to render a single frame at a time.

The difference that the 64-bit application makes is that each process can now use an effectively limitless amount of memory. That makes a lot of things faster and better, as described here.

One of the uge differences is that RAM previews can be much, much longer. I've gotten RAM previews of HD compositions longer than one minute on my personal computer.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Peter LitwinowiczRe: CS5 still breaks into multiple processes
by on May 2, 2010 at 9:29:13 pm

Also, I can vouch for CS5's effectiveness in the multiple processes area. Some really huge bottlenecks in the "talking" between the multiple processes have been addresses and sped up immensely.

What does it matter if it's multiple threads or multiple processes? What you really care about is speed in processing, right? In pre-CS5 days, their was a larger amount of interprocess "I/O" that slowed things down (at least with respect to the plugins we make). With CS5 we are seeing that projects with our plugins are sometimes are up to 5 to 7 times faster over our old plugins within CS4 (I was testing on an 8 processor machine with lots of RAM, FYI). Part of that speedup is due to some heavy optimization we have done in our new yet-to-be released plugins (which we expect to be releasing sometime in the second week of May), which will benefit pre-CS5 users as well (the update pricing will be announced when the plugins are available). But when coupled with CS5's much better multiple-frame-at-same-time processing, the speed increases are truly eye opening.

Just my 2 cents.
Pete Litwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index

Uli PlankRe: CS5 still breaks into multiple processes
by on May 3, 2010 at 7:47:22 am

I have to agree, and don't forget stability by better memory management.
Speed of a software alone is no speed gain at all if your workflow get's interrupted several times a day…

I tested the 64 bit version of Neatvideo in AE CS5, and it's very stable when processing 4K images while the same footage crashed again and again under CS4.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved