ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding blood in post

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Calum MacPhailAdding blood in post
by on May 1, 2010 at 7:13:23 pm

I'm looking for a way to add blood to an actors face in post (i didn't have time when originally shooting). I'm a relative novice with after effects so i thought i would turn to you guys. I'm a mac user and my editing system is Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Adding blood in post
by on May 1, 2010 at 10:30:19 pm

First thing to do is to track the face- if there's no 3d movement, or very little of it, Mocha should do it. If not, use Syntheyes or Boujou.
Then paint out blood on the face on a relevant frame in Photoshop, animate if necessary and apply track data to layer. Final step is to apply color correction to make it blend in.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: Adding blood in post
by on May 2, 2010 at 12:01:45 am

You might find this tutorial useful:

This method won't work miracles, so if you need to show your actor at various angles etc, you'll probably save time by reshooting.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Calum MacPhailRe: Adding blood in post
by on May 2, 2010 at 1:12:56 am

Thanks for your response. The only reason i thought i would ask is because the actor was stationary, therefor i thought it may well be easily achievable

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adding blood in post
by on May 3, 2010 at 3:49:56 pm

Here's a handy rule of thumb for the neophyte AE Practitioner:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved