ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 is here

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Sensui
AE CS5 is here
on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:18:55 pm

Adobe sent an email last night saying that AE CS5 is available for download so I got it right away.

The only downside for me right now is that the plugins "Primatte" and "Composite Wizard" aren't 64-bit yet.

But some of the other tools that come with CS5 is nothing short of amazing. There's Mocha, of course. But what impressed me is the Rotobrush tool. The demo here uses footage that might be easier for the Rotobrush tool to track, so its effectiveness will very likely depend on the material you end up using. Still, I'd be willing to bet it'll save someone a lot of time.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/after-effects-cs5-feature-tour/rotoscope-with-rot...

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: AE CS5 is here
on Apr 30, 2010 at 10:14:17 pm

We're glad you like it.

The last several posts on my blog have been about showing people what resources we have for the new and changed features in After Effects CS5, as well as how to get started with After Effects in general.

Please, don't hsitate to ask questions about the new features. That's what I'm here for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 1, 2010 at 6:13:38 am

Upgrade question here....I fear may be in a real Adobe customer conundrum.

I was very disappointed to hear today that if I upgraded to the Master Suite that I would not receive any credit for my After Effects CS4. Zero. Nada.

Specifically I was offered: be credited for your Design Suite Premium OR your AECS4. Not both, though I own both.

I thought that was very unfair, but I went ahead and spent the $1,295. I wanted the Premiere-AE-dynamic link feature very badly, and the full suite.

But I didn't think through one potentially MASSIVE issue. I have about $3,000 worth of plugins and they are tied to my other After Effects CS4 license.

Besides weep and curse what do you suggest I do? I am unsure all the plugin vendors are going to let me migrate to a completely different AE license.

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 1, 2010 at 7:26:39 am

To clarify my last post...

-I already know I am going to need to pay for updated 3rd party plugins for 64 bit
-My question is...don't some plugin vendors tie their license to your AE serial number? Does that impact somebody like me who technically didn't upgrade their AE license, but was cornered into purchasing a new copy?

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on May 1, 2010 at 8:27:32 am

Craig... You might want to get in contact with the vendor of your plugins to see if they can solve your dilemma. With so many plugin vendors Adobe probably can't give you the precise details considering the wide assortment of licensing policies.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on May 1, 2010 at 8:32:47 am

Dean, thanks for your reply.

I have been/am contacting them as well.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 1, 2010 at 2:55:13 pm

Dean's answer is my answer.

See this page, including the comments, for some links to pages where plug-in vendors' upgrade policies are listed and summarized.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ed Hecht
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:51:04 pm

Hi Todd,
I have CS5 Production Premium installed on my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop. I am willing to bet that like me, others lean on a handful of their plugins heavily (Hello, Trapcode?). I see that several of Trapcode's most popular ones are available in 64-bit for an upgrade price of $29. Well, 5 plugins means almost $150, which I don't currently have. So, my plan is to ALSO install the 32-bit versions of After Effects and Premiere Pro CS4 (graciously provided by Adobe for owners of 32-bit OS's) on the same machine in order to use said (32-bit) plugins.
So I can run AFX CS4 to use my plugins (til I can afford to upgrade them to 64-bit), render those effects and then use those files in CS5 in order to take advantage of the new features. Does this sound like the right solution? I am sure I'm not alone on this. On a related note, is this 32 vs 64-bit issue also present in Photoshop Cs5? (That is, can I run current plugins in 64-bit or must they be installed for the x86 PS executable?) Thanks.
Ed

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:58:08 pm

> So, my plan is to ALSO install the 32-bit versions of After Effects and Premiere Pro CS4 (graciously provided by Adobe for owners of 32-bit OS's) on the same machine in order to use said (32-bit) plugins. So I can run AFX CS4 to use my plugins (til I can afford to upgrade them to 64-bit), render those effects and then use those files in CS5 in order to take advantage of the new features. Does this sound like the right solution?

Yep.

On a related note, is this 32 vs 64-bit issue also present in Photoshop Cs5? (That is, can I run current plugins in 64-bit or must they be installed for the x86 PS executable?) Thanks.

I think that the issue is the same: A plug-in has to be a 64-bit plug-in to run in the 64-bit application.

Return to posts index

Ed Hecht
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:27:07 pm

Coolio! Thanks for the quick response, Todd!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]