ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crashing at around 1000 frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis MacfarlaneCrashing at around 1000 frames
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 8:45:24 pm

Hello,

I am new to after effects but having used flash/dreamweaver before i quickly got the hang of the familiar keyframe system. The only issue is i have put together a video recently which contains large, uncompressed (it is recorded by Xfire, iirc the codec is lossless) HD footage, and is about 2 or 3 minutes long. When rendering, whatever render settings i choose, it always will crash at 600-1030 frames (it varies). This problem may have a large variety of issues but i was wondering if there is some things that i can rule out in terms of preferences, render settings etc... that i may have overlooked. My system specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9950+ Black Ed.
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum (latest BIOS)
Graphics card: Sapphire 4870 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair TX750w

Thanks for any help/suggestions provided.

Return to posts index

Lewis MacfarlaneRe: Crashing at around 1000 frames
by on May 1, 2010 at 12:29:07 am

Update: I just spent 3 hrs trying to isolate the issue and for some reason at Frames 870, and frame 2370 (2369 - 2371) it crashes AE (I gave up checking for other bad frames after that). To test this i exported up until frame 870 and let it crash, it did this repeatedly, always stopping at that point. I then navigated to just 1 fram after 870, and exported from there. It was fine from there but as soon as it hit frame 2370 it did the same thing. I have checked all along the timeline for reasons why this error may occur at this point, but all that it is is rendering at those frames are just raw footage. The only thing as of now i can think of is the codec the video used. The project consists of a video of a game recorded using a program called Xfire (It is essentially an ingame IM program with video capture features) and it uses its own dedicated codec. I am not sure if that would attribute itself to my problem. If it could be could you advise on how i could go about converting it to a codec that is AE "Friendly"?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Crashing at around 1000 frames
by on May 2, 2010 at 7:22:00 pm

If you have the Adobe Media Encoder try re-encoding the footage using an After Effects friendly codec.

If its crashing on render it may be a memory issue or an openGL issue. Set the Secret Preferences to Purge every 30 or so frames, to access these hold down the Shift key as you select Preferences from the menu, this will reveal the "Secret" preferences and allow you to purge memory during render.

Turn off openGL, its not helpful for rendering in this case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]