ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

1080p Quicktime for HD TV?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chin Park1080p Quicktime for HD TV?
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:20:43 pm

Hello! I need to add effects to a quicktime movie that a client sent, and then I need to output to a quicktime movie to send back to client. How can I make sure that I have all the settings correct for HD TV?

Quicktime footages client sent: shot in 1080p (cannot play it in Quicktime, but can view in After Effects)
1280 x 1080
millions of colors
no compression
48 khz/16bit U/mono

When I go to interpret footage, there is "separate fields" option. I don't know if I should do anything with this one.

When I take the footage into a composition, I see following settings.
DVCPRO HD 1080 29.97 (1.5)
frame aspect ratio: 16:9 (1.78)

Also if there are important render settings I should be aware of, please let me know. And should I use animation or photo-jpeg compression?

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: 1080p Quicktime for HD TV?
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 8:34:16 pm

im not a camera expert, but usually i ask for the codec used by client which usually ships with camera software. I import their footage into a 1920x1080 comp on MY AE end, and output it the same to the client uncompressed. I do not want to re-compress their already 'compressed' data. Let "their" editing software take your PROPERLY sized output and interpet IT into its system. To cover your 'quality butt' so to speak. Thats how I would do it. Do not separate the fields unless they are requesting 1080i. And if they did not SHOOT 1080i than your just going to be duplicating fields anyway... kind of useless..

good luck.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Chin ParkRe: 1080p Quicktime for HD TV?
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:03:49 pm

Thanks, Scott.

I was wrong about 1080p, and it was actually 1080i that they sent. But from what you say, looks like it would export out as interlaced no matter what I do in After Effects? I guess that's fine since the client sent me the footages in interlaced format.

And I will edit in 1920 x 1080 like you said to make sure it's highest quality.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: 1080p Quicktime for HD TV?
by on May 1, 2010 at 10:17:51 pm

No, you need to interpret the footage as upper, and render as upper. What he was saying is if they shot it progressive, then it wouldn\\\'t matter if you separate or not, because both fields are the same anyway.

Rendering as interlaced takes nearly twice as long, because AE is creating all effects at 60 fps, then, interlacing the two images into one. They have to be interlaced in the correct order so that the next system can decode them correctly and play field 1, 2, 3, 4 and not 2,1,4,3 etc. That\\\'s also why Ae needs to know how to interpret as well, because as it renders, it\\\'s going to extract each field, double it up, comp it together as uncompressed with any new footage and effects, thenofo the same with the next field, then take the two results and interlace them
together and compress them to your chosen format.

Return to posts index

Chin ParkRe: 1080p Quicktime for HD TV?
by on May 3, 2010 at 3:33:48 pm

Thank you!

Since I would have to interpret and render interlaced, could I get some feedback on the process?

I see options such as preserve edges, remove pulldown, guess 3:2, guess 24p, and loop _ times. What settings should these be in?

And what do I need to do with composition/render settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved