ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Effect of something being drawn or painted in?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ash Davis
Effect of something being drawn or painted in?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:39:00 pm

Is there an effect or a method of haveing the effect of a scene of stationary subject looking as though its being painted or drawn in.

I have a still of a wall of graffiti with various animals in it, I have cut out all the different layers of the animals and have the same shot with just the wall (without the graf) which I did with clone tool. I want to have the blank wall and then the effect of the graffiti being painted onto the wall. Is this possible?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Effect of something being drawn or painted in?
on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:53:23 pm

It's possible- you can do it with a lot of animated masks, revealing the drawings. You can get really detailed, but you need to have the drawing separated on different layers- for example, you can have the outlines of an object on one layer, and all the color fills on separate layers.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Ash Davis
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:11:16 pm

Thanks a lot Tudor, I will try a mask. I have cut out all the different layers in the image, theres nearly 20 so will take some time.

Heres the image I'm using, do you think this will be a good effect to use for it?

http://i40.tinypic.com/28l6uki.jpg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:19:32 pm

[Ash Davis] "Heres the image I'm using, do you think this will be a good effect to use for it? "

Well, it all depends on how realistic you want it to be.

I'm sure that when this was painted originally, the aritst started with the sky, added the bushes, and then did the foreground objects... meaning that there were a bunch of bushes behind that tiger, which was added later in the process of painting.

If you intend to do the same thing, you've not only got to paint in the tiger, but you also have to create the bushes BEHIND the tiger.

Not to mention that there are splotches of sunlight on the image: do you also intend to move them, in a time-lapse fashion?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ash Davis
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:30:12 pm

I did consider to animate them if thats what you mean. Decided it would look more effective and natural if they were painted on.

I see what you mean about the layers, maybe I could use the clone tool in photoshop to create the back layers of sky and plants. I will have to do some experimenting. Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:08:07 pm

[Ash Davis] "Is there an effect or a method of haveing the effect of a scene of stationary subject looking as though its being painted or drawn in. "

Ted succinctly describes the details, and want to make it look realistic, it could be a real job. Using your description above, you could do the following in the real world:
• Use a paint brush -- brushes lose paint as the stroke goes on, so you have to go over it at the end.
• Use a spray can -- the line grows in density as more spray accumulates, and feathers at the edges
• Use charcoal or sidewalk chalk -- their lines are determined by the texture of the surface

...and the process of revealing them would involve different variations on the technique.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ash Davis
on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:14:33 pm

Thank you for the help Dave. How could I use the spray or brush tool to produce the layer though?

Heres the image I'm using..

http://i40.tinypic.com/28l6uki.jpg

Return to posts index

Ash Davis
on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:44:14 pm

Do you know of any tutorials to show such an effect or a similar one?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:47:00 pm

The only tutorials I'm aware of that talk about this "artwork magically drawing itself" sort of effect use such things as line art or text. They don't address the issues of airbrushed shapes, which is a LOT more difficult, if not impossible.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 30, 2010 at 4:42:12 pm

Now, you might want to investigate using the following technique, which would give the illusion of a giant paint brush revealing the scene, complete with details already in place. This is about as much hand-holding as you ought to need:
  • Get a black no-gloss, flat-finish card.
  • Get a paint brush.
  • Get thick white paint.
  • Get a still camera PLUS an extremely stabile tripod.
  • Transfer the major outlines of the scene using an EXTREMELY dark gray, flat, no-gloss marker.
  • Figure out the sequence of brush strokes you want to make BEFORE you begin.
  • Practice making brush strokes on a spare black card so you know how the paint & brush combination will look and behave.
  • Securely affix the black card to an immovable surface and frame up the still camera.
  • Light the card nice and evenly: NO HOT SPOTS, just nice diffuse light.
  • Shoot the black card with NO brush strokes on it: a clean plate.
  • Make your first brush stroke.
  • Take a still photograph.
  • Repeat making brush strokes and taking shots until the frame is entirely white.

You can now use the stills to animate masks to reveal each brush stroke, to make it look as though the paint brush is magically animating. Use the resulting animated brush stroke comp as a Luma Matte to reveal the artwork.

Believe it or not, this is probably the easiest way to do the animation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 2, 2010 at 5:28:11 am

Or create the same matte with the paint effect in AE, painting and scribbling in real time. Add things like the roughen edges effect. Even animate that effect or the mask with a wiggle expression. Then use something like a write on effect and/animated strokes to reveal the masked paint strokes. Of course all the layers and elements would have to be pulled out and completely separated in PS first. And once you've done that, wouldn't it be neat to separate the layers in 3D space and give a slight camera movement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]