ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

exporting widescreen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geralyn Abinaderexporting widescreen
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:16:47 pm

I'm missing something basic here. I created comps with D1/DV/NTSC Widescreen. I've adjusted all my images to fit widescreen. It comes out 4x3.

my aspect ratio is 1024x768, but I thought choosing widescreen would give me a 16x9 format.

What am I missing? It's too simple, right?

do i just need to adjust the ratio?

thanks, Geralyn

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: exporting widescreen
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:22:14 pm

When working in D1/DV NTSC (or PAL) widescreen, you get a "squeezed" 16:9 frame in a 4:3 format. That means that you can layoff that project to a regular miniDV tape (for example) and play it from a camera or a DV deck on a 16:9 screen and the image will look right, because the pixel aspect ratio is 16:9.
Hope that helps.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: exporting widescreen
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:24:27 pm

[Geralyn Abinader] "I created comps with D1/DV/NTSC Widescreen... my aspect ratio is 1024x768"

You've done SOMETHING in AE between those two statements, because NTSC DV is 720x480, whether it's 4x3 or 16x9.

If you do the arithmetic, you'll discover that in square pixels, 1024x768 is a 4x3 screen aspect ratio.

It's best if you tell us about any footage you shot for this project and what you want to DELIVER. Then we can walk you through it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: exporting widescreen
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:22:09 pm

Oh, yeah, missed that detail- that is 4:3, so Dave may be right, somewhere something is not set right..

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Geralyn AbinaderRe: exporting widescreen
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 7:17:40 pm

I think I was trying to create something I couldn't. I'm not using shot footage, we're creating a series of animations from stills. they will be displayed on 3 HDTV monitors running synchronously. some images span 2 or 3 monitors. So i was concerned about doing the squeeze 4x3 that unsqueezes in playback. I don't know why, I just didn't think it would work. We had to keep the resolution to 1024x768 because the source material did not allow us to go full HD. We're playing back in MPEG 2.

So I think my best option is to produce at 1024 x 576.

Thanks for your input. Better planning next time.

by the way - do you think the squeeze to unsqueeze would have worked in this instance?

Thanks

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: exporting widescreen
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 7:54:04 pm

[Geralyn Abinader] "by the way - do you think the squeeze to unsqueeze would have worked in this instance? "

It might, depending on your delivery specs; it sounds as if you've delivered this sort of thing before, and you have a reliable workflow.'

[Geralyn Abinader] "So I think my best option is to produce at 1024 x 576. "

I agree. It's 16x9 in square pixels -- you wouldn't have the added complication of dealing with weird pixel aspect ratios, and you wouldn't have to mess with AE's pixel aspect ratio compensation switch. The switch isn't a big deal to use, but when viewing the comp in 16x9, the jagged edges -- which disappear upon rendering -- can be unnerving to the first-time practitioner.

When done, nest this comp in in a 1024x768 comp, scale the layer to fit the comp, and watch in horror as it looks like it's been squeezed horizontally...

...but then, you apparently have a way to UN-squeeze it.

[Geralyn Abinader] "some images span 2 or 3 monitors "

Oooh, I overlooked that trouble-causing tidbit. Have you had experience doing this before? If not, I recommend a visit to the COW's Live & Stage Events forum. The gents there have experience in doing this sort of thing, and doing it using AE, to boot:
http://forums.creativecow.net/livestageevents

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]