ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Submitting a video to HDNet

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Do Yon Kim
Submitting a video to HDNet
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:08:15 pm

Hello All.

I need to export a hd video to submit to HDNET (the tv station). Their criteria is:

"Tape formats we accept are: HDCam, DVCProHD, XDCamHD or file, Quicktime file with codec AJA Kona3:1080i, 29.97, DVCPro HD."

How might I go about exporting the desired format out of After Effects? Do I need a third party encoder? Hardware? I am not familiar with aja kona3 or DVCPro HD...sigh*

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Submitting a video to HDNet
on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:54:26 am

Are you running PC or Mac version of After Effects?

How long is your video?

Most of the time on a Mac the DVCPro HD codec gets installed when you install Final Cut Studio. I think you can download the DVCPro HD Codec from the panasonic web site. It will then show up in your AE Render Cue output settings once it is installed.

You can also try here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23748

Post back more details and I'll see how I can help as I work with HDNet material on a daily basis.

Andy

Return to posts index

Do yon Kim
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:14:51 pm

I am running a pc version of AE and the video is around 4mins. I perused the forums and it seems I have to buy raylight encoder to export in dvcpro hd format. Sigh.... I guess it'll be worth it.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:43:12 pm

Contact me off the cow. I am at the HDNet offices today. I'll see if I can help out.
aedigitaltv at gmail dot com

Andy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:10:50 pm

Andy's got the details. I've got the handy rules of thumb:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Do yon Kim
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:16:31 pm

Thanks Dave!

I'll keep that in mind.

Return to posts index

Lawton Barnes
on May 3, 2010 at 6:55:07 pm

The complete engineering specs for delivering content to HDNet can be found here:

http://hd.net/engineering/HDNet_TapeRequirements.html

thanks,
Lawton Barnes
Producer
HDNet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]