ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE File won't open

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather CrankAE File won't open
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:27:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've looked though the postings on AE files not opening, but haven't found a solution yet.

I'm working in ae cs3, file was working fine 2 days ago. Opened the file last night and the project loads to 60% then I get the rainbow ball of death. I have about 100 project files on a hard drive and my desktop, none of them will open. Though AE projects using different assets seem to open fine. This makes me think that an asset has become corrupt.

I've tried importing the ae project, with the caps lock and no luck. If the problem is with a corrupt asset, how can I fix this problem? Is it possible that all the files from the last month on both drives have become corrupt?

Thank you!

H

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: AE File won't open
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:28:20 am

You may not have given enough info to be sure the issue is a corrupt source. Is there anything else different about the 100 project files that won't open compared to the others that will? Are they on a different drive? Do they use any of the same sources? Have any of either been moved or altered? Do all of your drives have enough available space for cache files, etc.? Did you have any crashes or other system issues either while working in AE or in general?

[Heather Crank] "If the problem is with a corrupt asset, how can I fix this problem?"

Usually, sources only become corrupt as a result of a specific event (i.e., a crash while files are being written to, etc.). So, it's unusual for many sources to become corrupt at once (except in the scenario mentioned below). If the issue is a corrupt source, you have to somehow isolate the corrupt source(s). This is tedious if it's a large project, but you can temporarily move all sources to a different location so that AE can't find them when you open the project. Then, replace them one at a time until you come across one that causes AE to crash.

[Heather Crank] "Is it possible that all the files from the last month on both drives have become corrupt?"

It's possible, but very unlikely for all files on two separate drives to become corrupt at the same time ... unless something happened to both drives at the same time and it would be something that's hard to miss (i.e., a system crash while files are being initially copied to both drives at the same time).

By the way, I'd suggest never working with files in AE that are located on a computer's desktop since what's on a computer's desktop are usually shortcuts to files that are really on the system drive ... personally, I think it's a bad idea to store any data files on a system drive and always have at least one separate data drive.

Return to posts index

Heather CrankRe: AE File won't open
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:42:44 pm

Thanks David!

I ended up moving all the files to another drive, importing the ae file as a project, and then checking the assets one at a time. There was a ai file that was causing the problem. I re-saved the ai file with a different name and re-linked. Everything is working again.

You are right, there was a crash before all this happened.

Thank god not all of the files were corrupt!

H

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]