ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Selective Color Tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David AdametzSelective Color Tracking
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:16:52 pm

So our company is producing a video for a client, who is a children's television show.
It is a music video with a very "Ed Sullivan" theme, much like a Beatles performance, where will be applying either a light sepia treatment or black and white altogether.

The group is called the BeeHeads, and they will be wearing bee hats with antennas. They want to achieve a look where the hats will be in full color while the rest of the footage is in its appropriate image treatment.

My question is, what is the best way to do this in After Effects?
The hats are permanent, so we can't really film them in a chroma green or anything. One suggestion was to mask the hats, but there are multiple musicians, and it seems like a tedious, unnecessary task.

Seems like a lot of work for a cheap effect, so we're going to try to propose other suggestions to the client, but I'd appreciate any feedback on this idea.

David M. Adametz

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Selective Color Tracking
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:31:10 pm

Since you're applying such a heavy colour treatment, I would suggest making the hats be a riduculously different colour to the rest of the set, then you can colour-correct them to look the way they are supposed to look.

If you can't change the hats, try changing the set, makeup and wardrobe.

In any case you're probably going to need to do some rough masking.

Hue/Saturation lets you specify different colour ranges to adjust. If the hats are yellow, select cyan as the colour range you want to change and then adjust the range so you're touhching all the colours except yellow and lower the saturation.

There's also the leave color filter.

You could also key the hats and place them over a decolored copy of the footage.

If there are other things on the set that are the same color as the hats, you'll need a couple of layers. One that is black and white or sepia toned. And one that is MOSTLY that, except for the hats which you will need to animate rough masks around.

I hope that makes sense.

Search for Sin City there are a couple tutorials here on the COW that go a bit more in-depth on leaving a color in your scene.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved