ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I need to isolate a moving subject infront of a stationary background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ash Davis
I need to isolate a moving subject infront of a stationary background
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:20:41 pm

I have stabalised footage of a building that was shot on a tripod with a subject walking past. I want to manipulate the building in the background. The way I'm doing it is making a freeze frame of the background minus the subject as the lower layer and then masking the subject in each frame following its movement. Is there a quicker or more effective way of doing this?

Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: I need to iscolate a moving subject infront of a stationary background
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:26:26 pm

The same techniques referred to in your query about a graffiti wall still apply:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/977866

I hope you haven't done many more of these types of effects shots -- thinking to yourself, "How tough can this stuff be?" as you shot them -- or you'll miss your deadline, and that's a fact.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: I need to iscolate a moving subject infront of a stationary background
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:28:41 pm

And, since Dave didn't say it, I will: Planning ahead is your friend.
Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "we'll fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.
For future reference, shooting test shots and planning things out will save you a lot of time.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]