ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Zero Denominator Error when keyframing Puppet Tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Millie MarshZero Denominator Error when keyframing Puppet Tool
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:10:14 am

Hi Guys,

I'm getting the 'zero denominator comparing ratios' error whenever I try to keyframe the puppet tool. I've tried reducing comp and image sizes, and tried opening the same project on a different mac but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Zero Denominator Error when keyframing Puppet Tool
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 1:11:06 pm

What size is your comp? What kind (and size) of images are you using?
Any chance you've got HD footage in there and Dave's Stock Answer #1 strikes again?

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: Zero Denominator Error when keyframing Puppet Tool
by on Nov 13, 2012 at 4:23:51 pm

I don't quite get it. I have this problem and I can't get it to work. I'm just trying to do a bit of wiggle on the footage. It plays, but then this error comes up.

It's just a layer from a PSD. A rather large PSD. about 10kx7k (I have to zoom in almost 10x, so it's actually necessary)

I'm also getting some issues with zooming in on the precomposed puppet tooled animation. I had to precomp because I realized the puppet markers don't move with scaling of the whole object. Ok, no big deal, precomp. Well now there's an odd halo around the layer. I thought maybe that would have to do with expansion? I'm not having much luck though.

Return to posts index

Post removed by author on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:20:36 pm.

Vojtěch PalmeRe: Zero Denominator Error when keyframing Puppet Tool
by on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:21:42 pm

I got this error too when I was rigging a character for animation.
My workflow was:
Make character in Illustrator
export to psd and simplify it
import to AE

Turned out Illustrator automatically merged some layers that shouldn't be merged (eyes + feet) -> there were big Alpha gaps. The error stopped appearing as soon as I separated those into multiple layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved