ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyed actor becomes transparent

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Yadin
Keyed actor becomes transparent
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:13:08 pm

I've used color key and keylight to rotoscope my actor in front of a blue screen. When I lay that footage over a second video, you can see right through my actor's shirt to the video behind him.

How do I make my actor opaque again?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Keyed actor becomes transparent
on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:20:48 pm

Are you trying to use Keylight intuitively? You can't: there are too many controls to tweak. Depending on what you do, those controls can help you or hose you.

Since we have no clue about the footage you started with, nor how the video looks prior to keying, we can't even give you advice on what to do. The footage could be sheer garbage, or it could be lit and shot by a pro.

Go look in the Cow's AE tutorial section for tutorials on Keylight. There are also a couple on videocopilot.net.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:01:23 pm

I'm with Dave. It's difficult to help without more info. A couple things:

Are you using BOTH color key and Keylight to pull your key? If so, that could be one problem right there. Use just one.

Secondly, it sounds like your actor's shirt is close in color to your screen. I've dealt with this a lot on retail shoots where the talent is wearing teal on a green screen. It takes some experimentation and possibly some tedious rotoscoping.

Would you be able to post images of your raw footage and your resulting key?

-conigs
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Dan Yadin
on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:36:48 pm

Yes, I am using both. The color key does most of the work, then I use keylight on a simple choker matte. I'm pretty much ripping everything off of the keying method in video co-pilot's advanced car hit: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/advanced_car_hit/

Here is my before shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29537088@N00/4558342075/

And here's my after: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29537088@N00/4558342081/

You're right about his shirt being similar to the background, I'm just not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for your time.
-Dan

Return to posts index

craig whit
on Apr 28, 2010 at 2:50:42 am

I'm going to have to refer to one of Daves stock answers....can you reshoot? This time making the screen brighter so it's not the same luminance as his shirt? If not? I can only think to animate a holdout matte to focus on his core or just roto the whole damn thing....or cs5's rotobrush :)

Craig Whitaker
VFX Student
New York University
http://www.craigwhitaker.net

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 28, 2010 at 7:13:51 am

It seems that you have a lot of blue on the shirt, but the edges are ok. You could try to see if a garbage matte works to bring the shirt back in.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:38:57 am

I just messed around with your shot for a second and got a pretty good luma key from his shirt. To do this right I'd suggest doing separate keys. Mask out different sections of his body precompose each key then combine them all later. Using a luma key with Keylight should work pretty well, but if you have Primatte, that will work better than Keylight for something with this much spill.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
(Seriously though, that's the name on the paycheck)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2010 at 2:49:57 pm

Illya may have been able to pull a helpful luma key, but man! That lighting is just NOT good, not one bit!

My big gripe: the blown-out edge on the guy's shirt. Blown-out = no detail. If you wanted that sort of low-angle backlight, you should have evened up the vast difference between highlight and the rest of the exposure.

A little more light on the chroma key background would be a GREAT aid in pulling a good-looking key: EVEN, no-hot-spot lighting on the background, that is. As they say, the key to getting a good key is in the lighting.

Don't have enough lighting instruments to pull it off? Beg, borrow or steal more. It's that important.

HOWEVER......

Upon further reflection, I bet if you're able to reduce the amount of low-angle backlight -- which is throwing the exposure WAY out of whack for the entire shot -- you just might be good to go.

Oh, and give yourself another advantage: stretch the chroma key background! Get rid of them wrinkles! Easier key, y'know....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]