ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lincoln WaldronIllustrator>AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 3:21:19 pm

Ok- so I am having so many problems trying to take images from illustrator into AE.
My Illustrator files are .pdf files and are up to 10 000 pixels high and wide.(this is too big for AE correct?)
Anyway- I open them in illustrator and paste into a a new document, scaling to be the same size as my AE comp.
I always have bits of the image hanging over so I select the rectangle tool and crop around my workspace pressing apple 7 to delete extra overlay.
I then save as a .pdf or Illustrator and when I try to import into AE- its doesn't load- and I cant see the image.

Its driving me Mad- I have tried everything- I am importing the correct way into after effects im sure.

Any tips?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Illustrator>AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 3:26:15 pm

This may be really simple to solve. Would this Illustrator/PDF file happen to be black text or black line art? Are you looking at it on a black background?

See the problem?

The easy fix: change your comp's background color: command-shift-b Mac. Pick a nice, new color. You can always change it back.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lincoln WaldronRe: Illustrator>AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 3:31:34 pm

Hey thanks for the reply.

No sadly thats not the problem.
Im not sure what else it could be?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Illustrator>AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:04:29 pm

If you have vector art scale all to about 2000 x 2000 pixels (AE can take that), make sure you modify the art board and all is inside the art board. Save in an older format ( version 10) sometimes that helps.
If you have bitmap images in the pdfs make sure they are embedded and not linked- that also helps. Other than that I can't think of any other reason you should not be able to import an .ai file in AE.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Illustrator>AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:26:26 pm

There are some tips for preparing and importing Illustrator files on this page and this page (CS5 version).

Eran Stern provides a video tutorial on his website that shows how to prepare artwork in Illustrator and import and use vector graphics in After Effects:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved