ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BowmanTGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:36:49 pm

I got like 30 minutes to fix this for a client review. Afraid it's not going to happen in time.

I rendered a TGA sequence out and when I look in the finder window the thumbnails are correct. However when I open the files into Photoshop or After Effects it looks as though the Blue Channel was not rendered. Red and Green are there. Even stranger though, is that visually it seems the Green Channel is missing because the color is very bluish-purple as though it's mixing the red and blue channels together.

I've never had this issue before, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I of course have another render going right now, but I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue before.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:33:19 pm

[Eric Bowman] "I got like 30 minutes to fix this for a client review. "

This is WAY past the deadline, but did you happen to use Open GL to accelerate rendering? Turn it off, do a test render of a few image sequence frames, and see if that did the trick.

Another thing to check: do you have the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2? If not, you need it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric BowmanRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:55:15 pm

I'm using CS3 version 8.0.2.27, and I did not have OpenGL turned on, unless there's another OpenGL setting I'm unaware of. I'm talking about the OpenGL setting in the preferences > Preview menu.

I'm rendering straight to a Quicktime uncompressed movie now, just to eliminate the TGA sequence issue. I use TGA's all the time to eliminate the need to re-render things in the event of a crash, and up until this render I've experienced no issue with missing color channels. The movie is looking fine so far, and the deadline was for the rough cut so we just showed them the "funky colors" version. They also just changed a ton of stuff on the video, so re-renders are in the works.

I plan on restoring the preferences in AE as my next step, and of course I'll try a small TGA sequence again to see if it was just a fluke. I just have to let the current render finish prior to messing around with it.

Thanks for the info, and if you think of any other issues that may or may not contribute to missing color channels let me know.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:30:29 pm

When you put a comp in the Render Queue, you'll find an Open GL check box when you open the Render Settings. Check it OFF.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:33:39 pm

It was definitely off. Very weird as to why this happened. I render to TGA sequences weekly and have never had this issue.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 7:48:02 pm

In the "spin a dead chicken three times around you head and it'll work" category, try rendering to a different drive. Sometimes I've fixed odd TGA issues by doing that, defragging, or making sure that 24-bit is selected, not 32-bit (if that applies) ... weird stuff like that.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:36:10 pm

I was rendering 24bit as I didn't need the alpha. How strange. I'm about to try a new TGA render and will let you know if things are pear shaped or not.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:50:32 pm

This is not really an answer to your question -- but does it have to be Targa? I've found that TGA files can be a bit touchy -- different software packages have different preferences on byte order, compression, etc. This is also true of TIFF, which I've heard referred to as "Thousands of Incompatible File Formats."

PNG might be another option. Like TGA, it's lossless and supports transparency.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andy ClarkeRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on May 17, 2010 at 12:05:52 pm

I'm experiencing this issue too. The blue channel is solid white, which is maximum blue, thats why the image is all tinted blue even though the blue channel has no image information.
I'm not sure why. If I include the alpha channel (even though i dont need it) the blue channel renders normally.
seems like a bug. no logical reason i can see why the blue channel should render solid white??

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel NuñezRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 5:03:07 pm

I've been having the same problem with AE and tgas, and also, I've done tga secences without problem before. Suddently it started adding this full white to the blue channel.

The solution to me was, like Andy here, Adding the alpha channel to the render.
Maybe it's a weird bug, and when you set it not to render the alpha, it removes blue channel instead of the alpha inserting the alpha on it.

If anyone knows the real technical problem here, i would like to know =)

thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel NuñezRe: TGA Sequence color is missing channel of color.
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 2:57:42 am

The error seems to appear when you render a TGA image secuence without alpha channel and set at 32bit/pixel resolution (in the format settings)

If you need to render a tga secuence without alpha information, you have to select 24bits/pixel, in order to have it rendered without the blue channel afected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]