ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cant see multiple layers in AE CS4?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean WhitakerCant see multiple layers in AE CS4?
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:59:07 am

Hey everyone,

I'm bringing a premiere pro CS4 sequence into AE CS4, via:

file > Import > file > CoS.prproj > Sequence 5

Its my understanding that I should be able to see each Premiere clip as a different layer in AE once i pull it onto the AE timeline. Yet the whole sequence, which is made up of many clips, shows up as just one long layer. How do i view each individual clip from the PPro sequence as its own layer?

I also tried Dynamic linking the sequence into AE as a test, and that also did not reveal a different layer for each clip. However due to my workflow i need a solution to the method of file > import sequence. Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what option i may need to enable?

I am extremely new to both of these programs so it may be something very basic like the way i cut the clips in PPro or some settings in AE. anyone have any ideas? thanks!

- Shawn

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Cant see multiple layers in AE CS4?
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 9:21:08 am

I am guessing that it's just the way you're trying to open your sequence in AE. When you import a Premiere sequence in AE, there will be a comp already set with the name of the sequence. If you try to drag that into another comp, you will get your sequence precomposed and thus just one layer. Try double clicking on the sequence in the project window- that should open your comp with all layers visible...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Sean WhitakerRe: Cant see multiple layers in AE CS4?
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:33:25 pm

Thanks Ted!

your advice, along with the advice (from another forum) to import via:

File > Import > Premiere Pro sequence.

rather than

File > Import > File > etc...

has gotten everything working smoothly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved