ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing .mov files into AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach PummillImporting .mov files into AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:11:42 am

Ok here is the deal.

I am doing a round trip from FCP 7 to AE (CS4). I want to add a simple lower third to my clip. The issue is that when I import into AE my clip does not look the same as it does in FCP. The coloring is off and the blacks are boosted and the overall shot is darker. I did the color correction in Color and sent it back to FCP and edited the timeline then exported the clip using QT conversion. I added the lower third noticing the coloring was off but rendered anyways and the clip looks the same as it does in AE so when I bring it into FCP to add the clip with the new lower third the coloring is off from the rest of the clips. I'm new to AE so I don't know what the issue is and would love for some insight. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Color management / Gamma issues between FCP and AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:10:04 pm

I don't use Final Cut, but I know some people have had some trouble with gamma issues between the two. Color management can be tricky.

There have been several threads on it here at the COW. Try a forum search.

Here are some non-COW posts on it:
ProRes 422 colors and AE

Gamma problems from Adobe forums

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing .mov files into AE
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:20:02 pm

[Zach Pummill] "I am doing a round trip from FCP 7 to AE (CS4). I want to add a simple lower third to my clip."

If that's all it is, you can use the clip video as a reference ONLY, then do an animated lower third with an alpha channel in AE. Just bring the clip into FCP, put it on the layer above the clip, and you're good to go. You'll probably have to do a render in FCP, but that's no big deal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved