ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Human Displacement Bump Map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark HatchHuman Displacement Bump Map
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 11:05:58 pm

I'm trying to come up with a way to show a bed and the imprint of a human body on that bed, but not show the body. This would also be for movement, not just laying still. Can anyone think of a way to create a displacement/bump map of a human body laying/moving around on a bed to achieve this? It would be nice to have this movement mimic real human movement on a bed. I guess strapping motion tracking devices all over the body is one way. Anything easier?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Human Displacement Bump Map
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:43:22 am

Here's a thought: shoot an dancer in a full gray leotard, standing, on a greenscreen background. Light that dancer from both sides so the body's edges are white, but the center of each body mass falls off to black. Choreograph the dancer's movements as if on an invisible vertical bed. This is why I suggest a dancer -- they can be imaginative with their bodies.

Key out the dancer and use the resulting video as the displacement map in a real 3D app, or AE CS5 with Forge Freeform. You might have to invert the map.

It might work ... I'd test it with a mannequin or action figure first. No, you can't use my Franklin Delano Roosevelt action figure.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Human Displacement Bump Map
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:55:49 am

Similar to what Steve was suggesting, I would try to put a person to move face down on a bed and cover it with a white sheet. This way you can get nice fold detail also and not just the person. Light the sheet from top making sure that there's a nice falloff to black to the sides. Shoot from the top, straight down. Invert the final result. This way you may be able to get a animated displacement map.
Of course- do a test first.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:04:33 pm

Ah, yes. Folds around the person. Good idea, Ted!

Return to posts index

Mark HatchRe: Human Displacement Bump Map
by on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:11:49 pm

Those are good ideas, guys. Thanks for your help.

Mark Hatch
Cosmic Pictures

Return to posts index

Mark HatchRe: Human Displacement Bump Map
by on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:48:49 pm

One last thought. I tried just using the outline of some keyed footage of a person. Then I added alpha blur to feather the displacement map. It worked great, but the body is displaced the same amount regardless of whether it's the hand or the leg. Is there some type of way to have an alpha blur, or any other blur, account for the thickness of the area around it? Or perhaps a combination of filters? I'll keep working on this, but if anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:03:12 pm

The torso needs to be blurred more than the leg, right? If the leg is 40 pixels wide, and the torso is eighty pixels wide, then a 20-pixel blur would be right for the leg, but not the torso. Also conside that the amount of blue needs to fall off in proportion to the shape of the body part. That is, if you have linear falloff from 0 to 100 for a "cylinder", you are indicating to a displacement map that the cylinder is square, like a 4x4 turned 45 degrees, no?

Another way to look at it: the falloff would be different for these cross-sections: circular, elliptical and diamond (or rotated square). Using Curves can affect this (make the curve match the contour of the imagined cross-section), but you'd need a different falloff for different body parts. Too complicated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]