ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Crash Report - anybody read these?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob ColeCrash Report - anybody read these?
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:09:44 pm

When I quit AE, the program generates a crash report. I've been using AE for years, so I don't think I'm doing anything different, except that I did install BCC6 recently. (Despite buying and inputting a license code, BCC6 started to generate a "demo has expired, buy a license" message, and when I click on the "register" button, nothing happens - this may be a separate issue because when I uninstalled BCC6, I still got a crash report on exiting AE.) Even if I just open and close AE without starting a project, I get a crash report.

So far these crash reports have been all about nothing, but I'd like to know what's going on.

Does anyone actually read those crash reports? Where would I send it? Or should I just reinstall AE?

Thanks!

Bob C
CS4 - AE 9.0.2
MacPro 1,1
2x3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
9 GB 667 Mz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Crash Report - anybody read these?
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:39:09 pm

This sounds exactly like one of the problems that was fixed in the 9.0.2 update, but I see from your signature you are already running 9.0.2.

Have you tried rebuilding your preferences file by holding Cmd-Opt-Shift while AE loads? Note that all your current preferences will be lost.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: Crash Report - anybody read these?
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:26:11 pm

Thank you. I tried deleting prefs, but still get the crash report after exiting.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:29:38 pm

Do you have either the AJA or Matrox preview plugins installed? There's been a series of reports on them causes crashes here in the last couple weeks.

After that, I'm out of ideas -- sorry!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:38:17 pm

[Walter Soyka] "AJA or Matrox preview plugins"

I wasn't aware of installing them, but I may have the AJA because I am able to see my previews on an NTSC monitor. How would I identify, and then disable or remove this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:51:12 pm

[Bob Cole] "I wasn't aware of installing them, but I may have the AJA because I am able to see my previews on an NTSC monitor. How would I identify, and then disable or remove this? "

AE can use an AJA card without the plugin, so you may not actually have it installed. If you do, I think it's installed in the After Effects plugins folder.

Todd brings up a good point (as always) about removing BCC6. I saw in your original post that you uninstalled it. Did you just delete the plugins from the Plugin folder, or did you run the installer again and choose the Uninstall option?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:34:49 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Did you just delete the plugins from the Plugin folder, or did you run the installer again and choose the Uninstall option?"

I ran the BCC6 Uninstaller.

Bob

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Crash Report - anybody read these?
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:46:39 pm

> Does anyone actually read those crash reports?

Yes.

> Where would I send it?

The crash reporter automatically sends information to us if you allow it to. You can also submit a bug report.

If the only thing that has changed is that you've installed Boris plug-ins, then I recommend that you uninstall the Boris plug-ins and try again to see if that clears up the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:30:37 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "The crash reporter automatically sends information to us if you allow it to."

Thanks. Just dreaming, but I'm also interested in the information flow the other way. It would be a great step forward in software/Web 3.0 if companies like Adobe could receive the crash report and then automatically send their analysis back to the user.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Crash Report - anybody read these?
by on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:38:04 pm

There's nothing automatic about it, but it does happen quite often. We frequently contact people for more information, try out fixes, and otherwise try to close the loop on a problem.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:03:45 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "We frequently contact people for more information, try out fixes, and otherwise try to close the loop on a problem."

That's good, but for the user (like me) who keeps getting these inscrutable crash reports, it's a little frustrating not to be able to send them to someone (or even to a web-based "AI" service) who could understand them. It's convenient for the software company to receive them, but there's little value for the user.

When you get short "error message" reports, it's easy to google the exact phrase and find someone who's encountered and solved the issue. But these crash reports are so voluminous that I can't even start to know what section would be relevant - so the google approach is out.

I'm glad Adobe responds to certain reports; it's never happened here though.

Bob C

Return to posts index

mbloflinRe: Crash Report - anybody read these?
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:18:05 am

Try closing any modal windows you may keep open. For instance, Popcorn Island's background render module. 9.0.2 fixed this for me until I moved to Snow Leopard, now the crashes are back!

Brad

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:39:22 am

I don't know what a modal window is; I don't use Popcorn Island. I'm on Snow Leopard. Are you getting the same kind of spurious crashes? i.e., the program works fine, but when you exit it tells you it crashed?

B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]